Desparate Please Help

Okay I'm naturally a bitch just ask dh. If I were him I would have divorced me a long time ago. The big lug loves me go figure. 7 to 10 days before my period I get irritable and the closer I get to d-day the worse it gets. I feel like I could kill someone. I don't even like being around me. I've spoken with my GP and my GYN and both have tried me on various antidepressants even though I am not depressed but angry with a short fuse. I've tried the antidepressants and I'm not kidding when I tell you they make me sad and depress where I would cry all the time. My question is what can I do. I've tried diet, excerise, drugs whats left? My kids are old enough where they have started to notice and are start to feel my wrath. I would prefer not to subject them to my bad behavior. I AM DESPERATE.

twilite2000

Asked by twilite2000 at 8:29 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Health

• I have always had the same problem, then I found out i was bi-polar, and got some meds. Maybe you could be too. GL with this!
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I too am Bi-Polar and have the same issue... Could be a pattern here... There were some post on BPD a few hours ago, maybe you should check them out.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:17 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• for a over the counter fix: try sam-e. in the vitamin aisle. and yes, maybe get checked for bi-polar. also, i hear that YAZ helps with some of this. i am not sure, i am not on it. sam-e is a natural mood elevator, no side effects that i have seen.
    MONHOLLENMOM

Answer by MONHOLLENMOM at 10:35 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I got this info from a website, not personal experience, although I do turn into an insane bitch myself during that time. I have even used the same phrase "I can't stand to be around myself". I do however take St. John's Worst, on a daily basis, period or not. It really does work on improving your mood but it takes a few weeks of taking it before noticing any improvement.

" Some vitamins and minerals that appear to be helpful are B-6 (50 mg, one to two times per day); calcium (1,000-1,500 mg per day); magnesium (325-750 mg per day); zinc (15-25 mg daily); and vitamin E (400-800 IU daily)."

continued
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 5:11 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• St. John's wort (Hypericum) is widely used in Europe for the treatment of PMS, and it has been shown to be effective. I recommend 300 mg of a standardized preparation daily, increasing to 300 mg three times per day from about cycle day 10 until the start of your period. (The first day of a period counts as Day 1 of a new cycle.) This seems to be the most effective regimen in my patients, although some women need to use the higher amounts every day, and others only need to use the higher dosage from just before ovulation (which occurs about Day 14) until menses."

DawnA72

• Be VARY careful with St Johns wart!!! It can have interactions with any number of Rx and OTC drugs... You'll need to do some home work there first! If you have a naturalist or herballist talk to them... If you don't talk to your doctor...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:22 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• SAM-e should ONLY be taken by those who are positive they do not have Bi-Polar disorder, because it can cause mania. I take SAM-e every day, but you need to take it with folic acid, B6 and B 12 vitamins to break down homeosystene, which is a toxic buildup caused by SAM-e if it is taken alone. It is not a supplement you just wander into Wal-Mart to buy, you need to read up on it on the Web and talk to a doctor, it is very potent stuff and nothing to mess around with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Mar. 17, 2009