How do i stop my 11 month old baby girl to stop biting?

she is starting to be a bully and i dont know y...i watch a 1 year old and she will bite him or grab him by his shirt and slam him up against the wall and bite him...i just don't know what to do this is my first child?please help

mckenzyesmommy

Asked by mckenzyesmommy at 5:26 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need to keep on top of that. You should tell her no every time and try to put her in time out. I know it seems too soon but you should try it. Most daycares don't tolerate biters. It's a bad habit as well. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• i have always heard bite them back..not hard but just enough to let them know it hurts..my dd is 16mnths and thats exactly how i would break her..two of my bff's kids were biters and thats how they broke them
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 5:29 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• bite her back, not too hard but to the point where it hurts, scares her and teaches her that its not nice.
    danichaos

Answer by danichaos at 5:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• This doesn't usually start until closer to 2, but biting in this instance is usually out of frustration. Please please please do not bite her back. Instead be her voice and verbalize for her what she can't do yet.

Do other children take something from her before she gets aggressive back? if so say something like: Hey! That's mine, give it back! Children around this age are feeling so many different emotions that they've never felt before. They have no idea what's going on and need us to help them figure it all out. Verbalize for her the frustrations and angers and fears and all of that for her, and be her voice when things are happening out of her control.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My youngest daughter (14 months) just recently starting biting too. It isn't to the point where it hurts but...I also don't want it to get to that point either.

When she bites I tell her NO in a firm and loud voice. Then I pick her up and remove her from the situation & tell her in a nice, calm voice, we don't bite.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 6:27 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My daughter did this same thing. We tried telling her no, putting her in time outs and biting her back. None of it worked. Finally when ever she would bite us we would tell her "no, I'm not playing with you anymore". Eventually she got that if she was mean to us we wouldnt play with her and she stopped biting. I also bit when I was around that age and my mom bit me back and I stopped.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 8:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• When my son went through wanting to bite people, I would always bite him back. Not hard or anything. He knew that when he bit me, he was doing it to hurt me, so when I would do it back to him, even though it wasn't hard enough to hurt, he got the point that biting isn't nice. Needless to say, he got out of that bad habit pretty quick lol
    summermail88

Answer by summermail88 at 12:18 AM on Jun. 15, 2011