How do you get your.......

kids to eat most of their meal at dinner time? We sit at the dinner table as a family every night to eat dinner together. My son (2) eats just about everything on his plate at every meal. My daughter (3) on the other hand will take 2 bites and say "my belly hurts" or "I'm full." She then will want snacks immediately after supper. I need some advice/tips please! :) Thanks ladies!

hesseltinefam5

Asked by hesseltinefam5 at 5:31 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• my kids normally eat all the food on their plates..and there are no snacks after dinner even if the plates were cleaned
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 5:37 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My son used to do that. Just make her sit at the table until she's done with her food. Only give her enough that you know she can finish and be happy with it. Now my son always finishes his food because he knows that he can have some kind of treat afterwards, ice cream, cookie, strawberries etc... Good luck, it's not going to be fun trying to get a 3 year old to do anything you want them to, but it will pay off
    danichaos

Answer by danichaos at 5:38 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My 2 year old does that. I have no answers other than we try not to turn dinner into a battle for control. We serve her a good variety of foods, and if she decides she is done, we will offer it again before bed.

My 5 year old is required to take 5 bites of each thing on his plate before he is allowed to be done. Usually once he starts he finishes without a problem. The logic of being required to take one bite for each year of his age makes sense to him.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 6:03 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• try not to give snacks to close to dinner time and if they dont eat at least half of thier food, no snack! my ds 3.5 is given the choice of eat or go to bed, no other options because his new excuse for every thing is "i am to tired".
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 6:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• When my 6 year old does something like that. I tell him to eat 5 bites and then 4, then 3, and just keep going until it is gone. It usually works, but he rarely does it so I don't have to do that very often. But no snacks if they don't eat most of their food.
    clumm

Answer by clumm at 7:00 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Our rule is if u want something after dinner, you can have dinner again or sweet peas. He likes sweet peas and their healthly.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 8:00 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• They know they eat what we fix or they can have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:30 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• my daughter is 3 as well and no matter what she always says her belly hurts...if she's thirsty or hungry or needs to go potty. I can't get her to eat nething other than noodles, chicken nuggets and french fries, or cereal. she does like to snack on crackers and chips and an occasional apple or grape, but i don't think she has had a single vegetable since she was a baby..ssometimes i feel like i am starving her cause i know she isn't eating enough or the right things.i think it is the way food looks to her because it took me forever to get her to try chocolate pudding which should of not been a problem at all.
    takenback

Answer by takenback at 9:10 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• our rules are you eat your meal and thats that. no snacks if you dont eat your dinner
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 12:56 AM on Jun. 15, 2011