Stay at Home Moms!

How do you do it?

I have been laid off from my job and I am now a stay at home mom to my 2 little kids. I have always worked and I am already going nuts after 2 weeks. I have a 1 1/2year old and a 4 month old. We have a routine down now (naps, breakfast, lunch, movie time, playtime, cleaning.)

but is this it?clean up and have dinner ready for hubby when he gets home at 6?

My husband is so happy that I'm home instead of working long hours and I'm not exhausted by the time I get home and we don't eat microwave meals anymore. I tried making different recipes but that got boring after 2 days.

How do you keep yourself entertained when your kids sleep? How do you not go stir crazy?

shrugging

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• I am not the one to be asking I have been a SAHM now for 4 years and it has it's pros and cons...but right now I am definitely going stir crazy!!!! Ha ha.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 5:49 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Try to make friends with other moms in your area and arrange playdates perhaps?
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 5:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My kids don't sleep.

Well my newborn does, but my older two haven't napped in a couple of years. :)

We go places all the time, we aren't home all day every day. When we are home, we spend a lot of time outside.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 5:52 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• i totally understand!! It is not easy being home full time. It is the hardest job in the world. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE it. But everyone needs adult time!! That was one of the reasons I started my own business so I could make friends and have something of my own. Plus the extra $$ is nice.
    I am also addicted to cafe mom!!
    I am here if you want to chat!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 5:53 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• i take the kids out on playdates, museums, parks, ect. that's more in the morning time. then, they're tired when we get home, so they take a nap while i do laundry and catch up on my shows. i try to tidy up the house as best i can, and do some dishes. they wake up around 4 or 5ish so i get them a snack and then they watch some tv or play in their room while i make dinner. then it's time to get ready for our bedtime stuff, bath, change, ect.

i just stopped working last week (money got tight so i got a job during the school year) and i'm trying to get back to my "SAHM schedule" lol. laundry is actually getting done now that i'm home all day instead of getting home at 530, having to do dinner, dishes, laundry, sweep, bath, change, bed, ect. i just would rotate and have basketfull of clean clothes needing to be folded...i'm SO happy to get them folded!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:55 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Gotta get out of the house! Especially since it is summer...there are a ton of things to go out and do.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 5:57 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I'm definitely not one to ask. My only child is 6 and I've been a SAHM all her life. I get so bored sometimes when she's at school after I get all the chores done around the house. I have absolutely NO friends where I live either. I take a break from 12 - 1:30 for lunch and the Young and the Restless, but other than that, I barely get 2 seconds to myself from 5:30 am - 8 pm when my daughter goes to bed. When she gets home from school, it's change clothes, maybe go outside and play, cartoons, dinner, bath, storytime and prayers, bed unless it's a Wednesday afternoon in which case from 4 - 6 pm, she's got visitation with her loser, deadbeat father.
    leomommy1325

Answer by leomommy1325 at 6:00 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I had to quit my job after a so called friend promised to watch my kids so I'm right there with ya!
    nightngale83

Answer by nightngale83 at 6:03 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• STAY at home mom is a misnomer. I would go NUTS if I actually "stayed home".

When my kids were little I got things done and left the house. We had 1-3 play groups or playdates a week. Our museums here are free every tu so we did that. We did story time at the library. We tried new play grounds. We walked the mall. We went to the beach.

AND yes, I did that with a 4 mo. old. My kids are 22 mo. apart and we started leaving the house when my youngest was 2 weeks old.

Make a list of things you would do with a family member visiting your town... touristy things... and go do them with the kids in tow.
    Anonymous

• i know i couldn't do it!!! i did it for 7 months and i was just going CRAZY with boredom. i finally found work again. you might be like me and a lot of other moms that just need to work for their own sanity. try looking into part time work
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 6:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2011