Sahm vs. working mom

I have seen so many people say they are board as sahms.  That they want to go to work simply because they are board.

I wonder: do you think it is easier to be a sahm mom in some locations vs others?

If you live in a very small town with nothing around is it harder to be a sahm because of boredom?  If you live someplace that is active, has museums, has multiple places to go, close to a big city; do you think it would be easier to be a sahm because there is actually something to do?

OR

Do you think the people who get board as sahms simply had VERY exciting jobs... drs. attorneys. teachers pharmacist (what Im saying is something other than a basic min. wage job or bookkeeper type job that is more monotonous) ... jobs that are constantly making you move and think on the fly?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• I suppose it could be a little of either. I had an interesting job before I became a mom, but I wanted to stay home with my kids. I live in Las Vegas where there are lots of fun things to do with kids, although I haven't always lived here. Before we moved here, I lived in a boooooring town, but my kids were still little and we didn't go out as much.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• It's probably a combination of several things depending on the person. When we lived in an actualy city with a lot of things to do, it took everything DH made just to keep us afloat. We could not afford to go out and do anything and low cost or free things were few and far between. Sadly now that we are in a small town, that holds true still. There is nothing to do. There is not even a story time at the library. People actually leave town as often as they can to shop because there are no choices here. There is a walmart and a grocery store. There was a strip mall but one by one businesses have been closing down for years. I'm bored out of my mind here. And now with the price of gas what it is, we can't afford to go out of town to visit family or just have a day in a place with choices, entertainment and oppourtunity. We don't plan to be here any longer than we have to be.
    Anonymous

• I do not understand how any stay home mom can get bored, there is always something to do!

Answer by older at 6:50 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I'm a SAHM in a small town and I don't think it's boring at all - and I was a classroom teacher before I became a SAHM. I think the moms who claim it's "boring" are guilty of making it that way. There are things to do, even in small towns, if you will get off your duff and do them.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:45 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I can only comment for myself. But when I became a sahm my issue was lack of conversation with adults that didn't involve my kids. People seem to think that if you are a sahm you have left your brain some where for the duration of parenting. They make no effort to talk to you about life outside of parenting.

As to easier or harder, the roles are too different to compare. Each has their difficulties and each has the easy aspects, they are just different.
    quinnmommy

Answer by quinnmommy at 8:24 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• quinmommy, that's an excellent answer and I agree. I think the hardest parts of being a stay at home mom are the lack of adult interaction and the way we can sort of lose our identity.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:36 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I have been working for the past 4yrs but when I did stay at home with my babies I got bored because I needed other stimulation. I get tired of the same routine. I am expecting my 3rd baby this Aug and will most likely leave my current employer, but I have already made up in my mind that if I SAH I have to keep myself busy and stimulated with the kids, maybe going back to school, helping with my husband's business, etc. I can't be tied to my house and doing chores all day...
    readyforbaby3

Answer by readyforbaby3 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Do you mean bored?
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• it could be a little of both, it could be they are just tired of routine. Motherhood is very routine IMO and its easy to wish for some adventure. Or other adults to talk to.Or I am in a city but with a budget and 1 car which DH needs for work, and 2 kids that can't walk very far yet I still dont get out much. And you can only spend so many hours a day being a space ranger when you are 24 years old.
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 12:32 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• housework, tending to baby, cooking.. it is a never ending cycle, How could one ever get bored? Pick up the phone and call a friend. Set up a play date!
    Wanabmommy

Answer by Wanabmommy at 1:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2011