Does anyone else here besides myself...

Have trouble knowing just how to interact with their children? I do because I didn't grow up with a mother who was very involved or creative, and we didn't spend a lot of time doing things together. I feel guilty a lot of times..because I'm not sure just how to engage my daughter who has special needs, and I feel very bad that I haven't read her many books, and I'm not very good at always talking out loud to her when I'm doing things around the house. My daughter can play for hours with her toys without getting fussy..it just gets hard whenever I try to do anything outside of the house. It feels like everytime I try to play with her, I have to do therapy instead and try to apply the things I've learned at her OT,PT, and SP Therapy visits.

My daughter is nearly 3 yrs old now, and has never spoken a single word, she stims alot, and rocks, can't walk without assistance, and isn't very good at keeping eye contact. And when I try to settle down to read or talk to her, she'll wander off to play with one of her toys. I hate feeling so guilty, but I'm overwhelmed at knowing what to do:(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I understand! I never had involved parents either. We were never close. Sometimes I feel the same way. My son has special needs as well and has trouble communicating. I am trying to get him on a routine which involves reading books before bed...he used to hate doing that and would just throw the books. My son gets all those therapies too. He looks forward to doing all that instead of playing with me. hah. I would add you as a friend because it is nice to talk to people who can relate but you are anonymous. Add me if you want to talk sometime! :)
    bouncingsoul

Answer by bouncingsoul at 8:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• It is harder to be a parent to a child with special needs. For that matter connecting with a "normal child" is not always that easy either. It sounds like you are doing what you need to with OT, PT and SP therapy visits. When you are trying to engage her one on one, don't worry about the theraphy, as long as she is getting it. If she is playing with her toys, sit down next to her and play with the toys beside her and interact with her by talking to her, or maybe try to get her to build a tower with large blocks with you, or something like that. Try watching what she does and then come up with a way to interact with her based on what she is doing. It takes time to learn what to do. My son has special needs, and it is not easy. Best thing to do is see if there is a support group for parents in your area. You can always message me if you want to talk.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:46 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• fingers crossedI would say to keep trying. Reading, blocks, really anything. Have you spoken to her therapists for ideas? Be persistent and consistent and just keep talking to her. I will keep you in my prayers!! Good Luck!!

mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 6:39 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Mom, you are doing a good job and the more you go through the motions, the natural it will feel. Talk to the professionals that your daughter see and ask them for new ideas to play/stimulate her in the correct ways. If you can, take some time for yourself as well. You are not just her mom, you are a person too and you need down time. Don't be so hard on yourself, you are doing great.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 6:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• You are so strong!! Hang in there. *HUGS*
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 6:49 PM on Jun. 14, 2011