Premanent BC ???

so i am pregnant with my 2nd child which makes us have 3 children total. and we were thinking about getting a premanent BC i was wondering if anyone has had the Essure or tubes tied and or had their DH get a vasectomy or if yall got tubes tied and a vasectomy....what works for yall. we dont want anymore kids and we dont want to have to worry about it anymore

alw06tchs

Asked by alw06tchs at 6:49 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Health

• My husband had a vasectomy when we were 26, the day after our second child was born. It is one of the best things we've ever done! He said it was super easy and that the worst part of it was the smell of burning skin when they were cauterizing. He healed fast and the sex is way better because there's no worry and no messing around with birth control.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My DH want me to get my tubes tied idk if he is scared to have a vasectomy or what but when he talks about it he says no so I wanted to get some opinons
    alw06tchs

Comment by alw06tchs (original poster) at 7:00 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• A vasectomy is more reliable, less likely to fail. It's a simple, outpatient procedure, whereas getting your tubes tied is much more difficult, has a longer healing time, and can screw with your periods in the future. Supposedly it also makes you more likely to have a tubal pregnancy. Oh, and it's way more expensive and our insurance wouldn't cover either procedure. My husband couldn't wait to get his done and I actually had to talk him into waiting until our son was born to do it. It was literally 10 or 15 minutes and he was done.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:03 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Having a tubal ligation is major surgery which requires general anesthetic which is more risky...period. A vasectomy is done in 5 minutes in the office..no down time. The only risk with that is that you can still get preggo for about 6 weeks afterwards so use protection..unless the woman WANTS a tubal then there is NO reason a man shouldn't get a vasectomy INSTEAD...men are wimps..that's basically what it comes down to. Tell him you had the babies, so now it's his turn to get snipped :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I've told him he needs to but I have to have a c section w this baby so he says why should he get snipped when while their doing me they can go ahead n tie my tubes
    alw06tchs

Comment by alw06tchs (original poster) at 7:10 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I had my tubes cut and burned. My DH was more than willing, he actually begged for it, lol. But since I was already open for my C-section, I had it done instead.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 7:13 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I can understand that point of view, although it should ultimately be your choice what the doctors are doing with your body. I would probably pull up a website with the failure rates of that vs. vasectomy, and also the risks associated with each, and show it to him. I know many women who were perfectly happy with theirs, but I personally would never be comfortable with the risks of having my tubes tied.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:34 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I had Essure since it is the first and only sterilization procedure to have ZERO pregnancies in clinical trials. I will know if it fails before I would be able to get pregnant. And I LOVE it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:01 PM on Jun. 14, 2011