How do I get my 41/2 year old granddaughter out of our bed and sleep in her own bed?

She has always slept with someone whether it is her mom on visits or her Aunt on visists, I can put her in her bed to go to sleep ( patting her back nightly), but she wakes up and climbs in our bed around 2 am.. HELPPP..
Pat

prayrwarrior46

Asked by prayrwarrior46 at 7:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I had trouble with my daughter not wanting to stay in her bed at night, It was hard to do this but I would take her back to her bed and put her in there and tell her she can't come out. You will have to do this over and over but eventually she will learn she can't get out of bed. My daughter would sit in her room and scream and cry....believe me it was the hardest thing I ever had to do. I wanted so badly to run in there but eventually she learned that at night time she had to sleep in her own room. Good Luck!
    MommytoBe987

Answer by MommytoBe987 at 7:10 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Mommy to be is right. It will be hard for a week or so. But you have to consistently take her back to her own bed. Ours stays in her own room. We have to leave her door open about 4 inches and leave two lights on in the hall. She almost always makes it through the night not.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:12 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• i am having the same issue if anyone has any ideas i would gladly try anything new
    momof3tinytots

Answer by momof3tinytots at 7:25 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• We let our daughter come in for a snuggle and then take her back to her room, or we take her to her room and stay with her for a few minutes instead. Our deal is that she goes to bed in her own bed, but if she wakes up and feels "lonely and scared" (her words) that she can come and get us. I'm not a fan of leaving her in her room afraid--I had horrible nightmares as a child, and my parents did that to me. To this day, I still remember that awful feeling of lying in bed, afraid to get up, and afraid to go back to sleep, and just desperately wanting a hug.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 7:32 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Just tell her she will get a new toy. Make it a realy specil one that she wants. I bet she stops sleepin in ur bed rite quick.
    Ihearthorses

Answer by Ihearthorses at 7:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I have had friends who were successful with allowing the child to come in but not allow her a really comfortable spot. She could sleep on some pillows on the floor but not in their bed. The goals was to make sleeping there not as attractive of an option.
    2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 9:47 PM on Jun. 14, 2011