2 Yr old Trying to Pull Back Foreskin adult content

My 2.5 Yr old recently started pre-school. Over the past several days, he has taken a new interest in his penis. Today he SHOCKED me by walking up and attempting to pull back his foreskin. He succeeded in pulling it back far enough to see inside.

Will this cause health issues? I thought that it wouldn't retract for a few more years. I'm worried that his curiosity will cause an infection or damage.

tmm511

Asked by tmm511 at 7:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I don't know anything about boys, but I would guess it would ease your mind and you would get the best advice by bringing it up to his ped. Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 7:20 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• It should be fine...mine does this alot too and he is 3..the urologist i had taken him too when I was thinking about getting him circumcised at 3 months said it wouldn't be ready to be pulled back till the age of 5 but his ped pulls it back during physicals soo it's one of those depends on what dr. you ask sort of thing.

happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 7:22 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My boys are 7yrs and 27mo, both did and do the same thing! Just keep him clean and he'll be fine! My little one has messed with it enough that it looked red and irritated, but it was just that! Just keep his hands busy if he starts getting too "involved" with it :)

willngingersmom

Answer by willngingersmom at 7:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I am wondering if you are wondering about his interest because he has seen other little boys that are circumcised and he is curious about the difference.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• HE will likely stop before it causes injury or infection, if you try to pull it back before it is ready, it will be painfull. And the foreskin separates gradually, and should be fully retractable by five to seven years of age, it doesn't happen overnight.
    TempestRayne

Answer by TempestRayne at 7:32 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My 2 year old found his penis too lol.. its normal. If he hurts himself he will stop. just make sure his hands are clean im sure he will be fine :)
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 7:46 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My son started doing that when he was around that age. If it hurts your son he will not do it!!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:47 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My understanding, while not having a intact son, is that as long as they are doing it on their own they will not retract it any further than is still comfortable for themselves. It is just part of the process...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:58 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I think he'll be okay - he wouldn't do it if it hurt him. It's pretty normal for a boy this age to discover his penis - maybe he's retracting early? Pretty good advice from the previous moms - keep it clean and as long as no redness or irritation and pain he'll be fine. No worries :)
    Pollymom

Answer by Pollymom at 7:58 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My son, 2 and 1/2, does the same thing. It just recently detached.

I think the deal is that you are not supposed to force it.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2011