I need car buying tips. I was approved for a car loan by my credit union

Do I tell the dealer I'm visiting I want to trade in my car at first or does it not matter? What's the best tips you can give me?

JCRestoredme

Asked by JCRestoredme at 8:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Shopping

• yes if they can not agree on the price you want to pay just say ok thank you for your time and shake his hand and start to walk away I guarantee you he will chase you to your car and say well let me see what I can do come back in .....and lower the price when we got my suv they said something like 388 a month I was like ohh I can not pay over 325 a month thank you anyway ...needless to say thats what I pay lol

Anonymous

• Don't tell them you already have financing either. They make money on financing. Dealers make money on -- the vehicle you're buying, the trade in, and financing + warranties. Research the vehicle you want on Edmunds.com and find out what a fair trade in value for your current car is. Don't be afraid to WALK AWAY. You're the one in power at the dealership. Don't let them make you feel like you have to do *anything* today. Verbal promises mean -nothing- it's all about what they put in writing.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 9:47 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Definitely find the value of the trade-in but make sure you look up trade in value. Black book is significantly less than retail. There's no reason not to tell them you are trading in up front, but do NOT give them the keys for an appraisal until you are sure you've found the car you want. They will often hold on to the keys for HOURS trying to detain you in hopes you will buy a car.
    Get the car you're looking at checked by a mechanic, always tell them you need to think about it and leave never sign anything up front. Just go home for a few hours and check the value of the car you're looking at, let them worry about it a bit. Then go back and start haggling, if you've already been approved by your private bank that gives you leverage since you are then a cash customer to them. Good luck to you!!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:12 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Find out the price of the car first. and when you settle on a price then tell them you want to trade in your car.
    Take a man with you.. guys have a way with each other when it comes to haggling.
    Anonymous