How do i know if i'm getting my wisdom teeth?

My mouth has been killing me for the last week. It throbs on and off throughout the day, but worse at night. While its hurting I get a headache and my eyes burn. Also my ear, on the same side, hurts. My tooth in the very back has a cavity, so how do I know if it's the cavity or my widom teeth? No insurance so I can't go to dentist yet

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 7:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Health

• Feel the gums behind your back tooth. If they are sore and tender, it's probably wisdom teeth. I still haven't gotten but one of mine and I'll be 24 this year. Bleh.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 7:41 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

•  An abscess under your tooth with the cavity is quite possible and common. This doesn't sound so much like wisdom teeth.

Your symptoms sound very familiar. If it's hurting all the way into your ear...I would bet money you have an abscess under that tooth with a cavity. DON'T mess around leaving an abscess go!!! A dentist will see you if you tell them you have an abscessed tooth(it's an infection).  It's a pocket of puss under the tooth , it's pressing on the nerve and it won't go away without dental attention.  I've been there.  Please Call!  It will only get worse and cause more problems. They will first give you antibiotics to take for about 3 days to reduce infection and pain meds...then will schedule a root canal or an extraction.  Please call. Many will let you make monthly payments to pay off something like that. 

KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 8:35 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I'm sorry...I was just thinking....it COULD also be an "impacted wisdom tooth". That will also get infected with an abcsess. Either way,..have you had any fever? They will give you antibiotics to reduce infection , which reduces the swelling and pain. But either way...the wisdom tooth would have to come out. I just got to thinking and thought I should add to my previous post. I feel bad you're suffering for all week with this! Goodness. I went through this same thing when I was a single parent. Until I was completely debilitated from the amount of pain...I called a dentist and told them how bad it was. They had me come in that day!
    Good Luck to you!!
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 8:43 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Yes I do believe I have a fever.
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 8:54 PM on Jun. 14, 2011