2 year old son saying bad words...Help

My 2year old son heard my husband say the F---- and S--- word while he was on the phone with one of his friends. And now I can't get him to stop saying it. I don't know what I should do. Any advice would be great.

Dani825

Asked by Dani825 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ignore it and don't react to it or he will do it more bc he's getting attention from you.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 7:49 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Don't draw to much attention to it...if it gets real bad just kind of say " no-no that's a bad word" and we don't say bad words. I would pull hubby aside and remind him to be careful not to use this kind of language around the little one...even when talking with the guys. :)
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 7:52 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I agree you need to ignore it. Kids will repeat eveything their parents say.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:53 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My son had an issue with saying the S word, once ignored him all together acted like i didnt even hear him he stopped because he wasnt getting any type of reaction from me.
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 8:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I told my husband the next time he says that around him I will put soap in his mouth.lol, he has been much more aware. It is embarassing when he does say it when we are out in public.
    Dani825

Comment by Dani825 (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• If ignoring him doesnt work. sit him in time out for a reasonable amount of time then once his time out is over ask him why he was there in the first place and explain why he cant say those words.
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 8:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I think your husband should tell him not to say those bad word because he's the one saying them around him .. so he should get him out of that habit of saying those bad words.
    KhadijahR4

Answer by KhadijahR4 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• You need to just ignore it as much as possible and talk with hubbing about watching his language. With 2 yr olds it seems like if they get a reaction out of you they will keep saying it. If you disgard it (As hard as that may seem) they will stop and forget about those words.
    RhondaJ

Answer by RhondaJ at 8:16 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• When he first says it I would say something like "No, we dont say that, its not nice" then if he continues try to play it down some, if he is insistant with it, I would say again "No thats not a nice word, dont use that word, if you say it again you will go to time out" then I would put him in time out, and be consistant with doing it and he will probably get sick of it. If you do all this work to reverse it though I would be telling my husband not to cuss around him anymore, otherwise you will be back to square one, good luck!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:20 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• just let your child know that them words are not nice and redirect your child to another word he can use in place of it.
    myangel02

Answer by myangel02 at 2:54 AM on Jun. 15, 2011