I'm worried about my 3 year old still not talking...

My son will be 3 in July. He has said a few words, but he mostly just tries them on and then stops saying them after a few days. He understands instruction or when I call him for dinner, etc.
He babbled all the time until he was 17 months old when my husband/his Daddy died. Then he all of a sudden stopped babbling. I figured it was due to experiencing such tragedy at a young age, because most children who go through hard times either sleep a lot or don't talk. But now it's been almost 19 months since he passed and my son's still not talking. Everyone says to wait it out, or reminds me that I didn't talk until I was almost 4.

I'm also worried that he won't be able to attend preschool if he doesn't talk yet...which I think would actually be good for him to be around other kids who talk hoping he'll pick it up.
Anyone experience something similar?
Any advice is welcome.

hill_star03

Asked by hill_star03 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• if he is not in speech therapy already, talk to his ped about getting him started. It is amazing how much that helps. And, once they start, it is like a flood gate opens!

Good luck
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Please don't let someone convince you to wait... the longer you wait the further behind he will be. What state are you in, I can find you the resources for early intervention in your area.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:11 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• https://egov.azdes.gov/azeip/azeipref/Forms/Categories.aspx

or google AzEIP
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 6:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Ok, I will look into it and talk to his pedi at his checkup next month.

Do the therapists know tricks encourage them to talk or what?
    hill_star03

Comment by hill_star03 (original poster) at 8:10 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I feel for you and am sorry you are going through this. He will catch up and be fine I'm sure. But I agree that him being around other kids his age will help him pick it up. My nephew had poor vocabulary and a stutter when I started babysitting him (I have a 3yo and a 2yo) and he started talking, stopped stuttering, and really took off on his vocab.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 8:10 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• That would be great, I don't even know where to start. We live in Gilbert, AZ...Phoenix/Mesa area
    hill_star03

Comment by hill_star03 (original poster) at 8:16 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I would request an evaluation first from my peditrician or a developmental peditrician. Then request an evaluation by your school district. They are required by law to evaluate children who may need special services within 50 days of recieving a written request. This is best done through the districts special education office. Be sure to document who you talk to and when you talk to them.

My experience with lack of speech is a bit different. My oldest had a bit of a speech problem. Primarily because I babied her andtended to anticipate her needs so she didn't need to talk much. For her preschool was great. With my youngest two they were born prematurely and were monitored for delays from birth. Since they hit none of their milestones they were automatically referred to the school district for early intervention. They began with seeing a speech therapist and an occupational therapist in our home.
    quinnmommy

Answer by quinnmommy at 8:17 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My son had 2 therapists from the school district do home visits to encourage talking. Ds also qualified for free preschool because of his delayed speech. I will also mention that ds was born with a minor cleft palate and has surgery to fix the palate and he was born with fluid around the eardrums. Occasionally he needs tubes in his ears to drain the fluid out. I've noticed after ds has tubes put in, he can hear better. Check with your local school district about help with your little one's speech.

PS Ever since ds started preschool, his speech has greatly improved.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My daughter didn't speak either and I put her in speech therapy and it worked wonders! My advice is this: Don't wait, if he's not speaking clearly and in sentences now it's not something that is going to fix itself. The sooner you get him in therapy the better the chance that his issues won't be life long.
    LivysMama

Answer by LivysMama at 8:20 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• i know how u feel, my son was like that when he was younger, but he started talking good once he got into pk and that's when everything changed
    cataquiroz24

Answer by cataquiroz24 at 8:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2011