Another one about the circumcision ban....

I keep reading articles about it and people's responses to it and one that gets me is the whole 'God made it that way so why change it? That's the way it's supposed to be'

So that got me thinking, there are many things that God makes that we fix...for example cleft palate, or crooked teeth, or babies born with their hearts outside their chests to name a few. So what is difference between that and circumcision? They all have to do with fixing something that God created but what is the big deal that people are making with circumcision all of the sudden? It's a parents choice, the end. If something like this actually passes then what's to stop the government from deciding plenty of things that are none of their business. I feel like people who support this ban are not looking at the bigger picture of things, they are not realizing how this affects the Jewish community and their first amendment right to freedom of religion or regardless of religion our freedom as a Americans to do what we feel and think is right for our family.

And to add another thing...to say that circumcision and female mutilation are the same thing is beyond ridiculous. First of all male circumcision is done by trained professionals and it is rare to have medical complications, but for females the complications are severe and the procedure is frightening. Not to mention that sometimes they even stitch closed the vaginal opening. I'm not saying there are not boys/men out there who had complications or have issues with having had their penis circumcised but it's ignorant to say the two are the same thing.

I just had to air this out because the nonsense I read about this is laughable. In the end, the only argument that is needed is that you do what you want with your child and leave others alone. Live and let live people.

GomezMami2908

Asked by GomezMami2908 at 8:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Circumcision is and always will be a choice, either by the man who is old enough to make the decision or the parents who have the right to consent. They can try to legislate it all they want, but it will never stick. There are legit reasons that parents choose to not do it ( they think the foreskin has a function, they think it's painful for baby, etc) and there are legit reasons parents choose to do it (easiere hygiene, to look like daddy, religion). And no matter when the circumcision happens, there are men who are unhappy with the result. I've seen shows about men trying to get their foreskin back, and actually know men who are angry their parents didn't do it when he wouldn't remember. We as parents are and should be the one to make this decision for our children.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I have an idea. Lets just stay out of each others kids diapers.
    Anonymous

• I agree 100% people try to make my sons penis their business, and it's not. They can choose to do whatever they choose to, to their son, and I'm not going to bit(# them out about it.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 8:11 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• When someone comes here and make a post asking for opinions on the subject, I give them mine, I do not believe it is a necessary procedure and I would not do it to any child of mine. I have a 23 year old son and a husband who is 61 that were never circumcised and have never had any problems.  My motto, is if it is not broken do not fix it.

Answer by older at 8:10 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• You are quite right .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Minnesotanice--- you totally turned me off Russell Crowe.

My husband and I chose circumcision because of the hygiene problems. He said all growing up that his friends, two of which were not circumcised, were always embarrassed by not just the way they looked, but the smell.

I had a girlfriend who married as a virgin, and was beyond disgusted when her husband told her that for him to enjoy oral sex, she had to pull the skin back. I don't want my DSs, and later, DILs, to have to pick lint. That's just gross. That's like saying a little girl with labia so long they bunch up in her undies shouldn't have been corrected. Your child gets crooked teeth, they get braces. Your child has a huge mole on her face, it is removed. I can't see putting my children at risk for being humiliated, whether by self or others. Not setting that up for them.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:24 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I agree OP....but others do not. I also agree ,as you said, to live and let live.
    Russell Crowe is against circumcison...LOL...I read about his opinion a few days ago.
    But everyone --men--in my family and extended family and in-laws,etc. has been circumcised and are happy with it.
    But, just like Breastfeeding,it is a choice we all make and we can't impose our feelings on others.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I say to each their own and it should be no ones else business.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 2:05 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Talk about being overly dramatic. Comparing extra skin to toes and hearts. Give me a break. They use to cut the skin under your tongue if you were tongue tied too. Ask your parents if you don't believe me (some of you may need to ask your grandparents).

Body modification is done all around the world. What is acceptable to one culture is not to another, but it is still a choice. Don't we have more important issues to worry about in our government than if a parent chooses to remove extra needless skin from their child. I think we do!
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 9:54 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• According to the logic of some, I guess GOD gave my child hypospadias. There was no way I was going to leave it that way. He was repaired and circ'd during surgery at 8 mos of age. I think my son will appreciate being able to pee straight. :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:19 PM on Jun. 14, 2011