at what age should I stop bathing my girl and boy together?

I have an 8 yr. old girl and a 5 year old boy.

formerbanker

Asked by formerbanker at 8:59 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• umm...depennds on the family.
    if yall are ok do so. to me bodys are natural.
    but dont leave them allone in the tub together. they get courise...
    how do they both fit anyways.
    how do you wash there hair.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• My boy is 9 and girl is 8 and they stopped bathing tgether last year. Only reason they still were is because it was quicker in the mornings before school for me. Now they do their own thing. You do what is best for you.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 9:12 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• This is a really good question!! In my personal opinion I think your kids are probably at that age where they should be bathing by themselves. I am actually surprised that your 8 year old is still okay with it. My boy is 7 and he's always worried I am going to catch him naked and is hiding himself-so with that being said maybe you could wait until your kids become uncomfortable with it. They will let you know.
    Anonymous

• IMO I think 8 is too old. Maybe if they were 5 and 6, it would still be ok. But that is just my opinion. I don't have kids yet (still pregnant).
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:29 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• i think that may be too old for her. shes already getting to the age of "the talk"
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 11:05 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• My daughter is 5yrs and my son is 3yrs.I stopped a few mos ago.
    hotmama83227

Answer by hotmama83227 at 1:29 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• We stopped when my son was 5 his sister is two years younger, mainly stopped because as they got older way too much water ended up on the floor. LOL. They are 5 and 7 now and love their alone time in the tub, have more room etc.. our family is really open about bodies etc.. so rarely is the bathroom door closed. We all just walk in and out except when Daddy is in there way to stinky.
    norbert

Answer by norbert at 12:28 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I think when one hits puberty it is time to stop for sure. Otherwise they are fine until one is uncomfortable or they start getting touchy.
    My 7yo son and 6yo daughter still bathe together. We've tried several times to stop them only because they get water every where and our tub is cracked so it leaks into the floor below but they always end up in together. My 8yo daughter stopped bathing with both of them a couple years ago. She was just no longer comfy with it and that was her choice (she'll still take a bath with her 2yo sister, though). She won't change in front of either of them either but the 7 and 6 year olds strip down in front of any one. They are totally comfortable with their bodies.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:02 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Well usually at about seven or eight most children start to become embarassed by their own nakedness. So at some point your eight year old may soon stop on her own and voice that to you. Talk to her now. She is old enough to give her input. I personally don't see being naked as a thing to get all up in arms about but some family are more private than others. It really depends on your personal family preferences and feelings. Right now your five year old is too young but next year may have some input of his own. But at about seven is when most experts will tell you that body awareness begins. Your daughter will be able to tell you what she is okay with right now and respect that. She will also then know how open you are to her personal thoughts and feelings in the future. Hey two birds one stone.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:25 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• cont...No parent should make it a big deal. Personally I would suggest at about nine, so next year would probably be a good year to stop. But that is just me. Not because I am a prude or even think that children are perverted in any way (I don't believe that)...but to give responsibility and independence to your oldest one. It is a big deal to take a shower or bath on one's own. It shows independence. You can also make it a wonderful thing for her by taking her to the store and letting her pick out special soap and shampoo. Celebrate with her that she is growing up. We always celebrate things like puberty or getting a period. But we miss the fact that many mile stones came before that. The more you build her up the stronger she will be as a proud and independent little girl who will emerge a wonderful young woman.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:30 PM on Dec. 12, 2008