Then what?

Boehner gives Obama Friday deadline on Libya

Stepping up a simmering constitutional conflict, House Speaker John A. Boehner warned President Obama on Tuesday that unless he gets authorization from Congress for his military deployment in Libya, he will be in violation of the War Powers Resolution.

In a letter sent Tuesday afternoon, Mr. Boehner, the top Republican in the constitutional chain of succession, said Mr. Obama must provide a clear justification for committing troops to Libya by Friday. Sunday marks the 90th day since the president notified Congress that U.S. troops had been committed to help enforce a no-fly zone over Libya, which is designed to protect the rebels fighting Col. Moammar Gadhafi’s government.

“The Constitution requires the president to ‘take care that the laws be faithfully executed,’ and one of those laws is the War Powers Resolution, which requires an approving action by Congress or withdrawal within 90 days from the notification of a military operation,” Mr. Boehner said in the letter.

The White House has repeatedly said it has complied with the law by alerting Congress to the initial deployment, and by providing follow-up briefings about the pace and extent of U.S. troops’ commitment.

But the administration has never sought approval from Congress.

The Constitution gives Congress the power to declare war, but makes the president commander-in-chief — and those dueling roles have caused tension throughout the nation’s history.

Two weeks ago the House passed a non-binding resolution that urged Mr. Obama to provide detailed information on the deployment. Mr. Boehner at the time signaled that Congress might cut off funding for the deployment in Libya if the administration didn’t comply.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jun/14/boehner-gives-obama-friday-deadline-libya/

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 8:11 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• If Congress cuts off funding, Obama has two choices. 1) Bring home the US troops and equipment or 2) pull a Saddam and order them to stay there without pay, without funding or supplies, and basically hanging out to dry.

As far as I can tell, Obama seems to think he can ignore the COTUS any time he feels like it (and doesn't deal well with being told about his lapses). It wouldn't surprise me a bit if he either holds out until the last possible moment and then tries to get Congress on board, or worse, just ignores Congress entirely and leaves our troops out to hang in the wind. The man truly sucks as CinC imo.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Boehner gives Obama Friday deadline on Libya

The next headline will read ... "Boehner has extended Obama's deadline in the hopes the two sides can come to an agreement that satisfies everyone."

The following headline SHOULD read .... "Boehner is a pandering tool, only trying to appease his constituents and win points with the voters. But the truth is that Boehner and Obama are golfing buddies and they wouldn't dare ruin that relationship over a silly game of 'who's in charge of this military anyway'."
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 8:46 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• The man is a nightmare.(Obama)I can't wait until I don't have to hear his name EVER AGAIN!!
    He has IGNORED alot of things since day #1.(rules & regulations, laws etc etc)..he somehow truly believes that RULES DO NOT APPLY to HIM. He just thumbs his nose , basically, and does what he pleases one way or another and everyone just keeps letting him do it too!
    I just cannot grasp it really. Our entire government is corrupt and ineffective at almost everything anymore. Nothing really shocks me anymore and that scares me.
    Boehner is a huge let down....he's weak and no better. He was all talk and no guts.
    None of this surprises me. I just wish our people would rise up and CLEAN HOUSE top to bottom and look for people with some real backbone, moral fiber and a true love for this country because.....I'm not seeing any of these things anymore. It's not the same America it was even 15 years ago. Maybe even 5.... JMO
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 9:22 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• "But the truth is that Boehner and Obama are golfing buddies and they wouldn't dare ruin that relationship over a silly game of 'who's in charge of this military anyway'."
    Answer by -Eilish-

It would appear that "golf" rules our world, now that's a happy thought, huh?
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:26 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• It would appear that "golf" rules our world, now that's a happy thought, huh?

It's a rather terrifying thought that the leader of the US is one of those dippy people that can't figure out where to take a walk without a little ball showing them the way.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

It rules my Dh's world when fishing doesn't
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 9:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Now I'm remembering something....the guy draws a line in the sand, "I dare you to step over it" he does. The guy draws another line in the sand "I dare you step over that line" he does....repeat, repeat, repeat. I sincerely hope Boehner backs up his threat. I really do!
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 10:26 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Boehner is a moron it figures he would focus on turning truths into lies and confusing naive Americans. The US did not declare War. The UN and NATO requested help. If the UN had to wait for every counties congress to approve a NATO action then nothing would ever get done. The operation is being handled by the United Nations and NATO forces, we are not even in charge of this conflict. The war powers act prevents the president without the consent of congress from invading another country, for example, if the president sent forces to North Korea without the consent of congress, then yes the president would be in violation of the war powers act..We did not INVADE another country and Obama hasn't violated or broken any law he gave support to NATO which he is allowed BY LAW to do without congressional approval.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:51 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• If the UN had to wait for every counties congress to approve a NATO action then nothing would ever get done.

When it comes to the UN, nothing does get done.

The operation is being handled by the United Nations and NATO forces, we are not even in charge of this conflict.

Who the hell do you thing the UN and NATO forces are? the US. NATO ALWAYS has a US military in charge because the US does not subvert itself to any other nation. We are the military might of both.

The war powers act prevents the president without the consent of congress from invading another country,

You might want to study up on that act a bit more.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 8:19 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• scew NATO
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 10:48 AM on Jun. 15, 2011