My dog eats chalk

Our 3 month old shepherd/husky mix is eating my kids sidewalk chalk! He was just in the vet on Saturday for his boosters, and I forgot to ask. He goes in the 24th and I will ask them then, but is it the same for dogs as people? The weird cravings mean iron deffiency? He is on a multi vitamin that the vets gave us, if it is low iron, what can we do?

BabyBugsmama

Asked by BabyBugsmama at 8:16 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Pets

• ask your vet and get the chalk out of his reach
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Well, he is loose in our backyard. The kids outdoor toy box is there, and he digs for it. He has like a 6th sense for it. We don't see him eating, but we can tell by his multi-colored piles...
    BabyBugsmama

Comment by BabyBugsmama (original poster) at 8:37 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Can we trade dogs? Mine its poop. Its safe as long as the dog doesn't consume alot of it and its safe for ur kiddos. Ask the vet anyway cause vets have diff opinions on things like that.
    fancypantswife

Answer by fancypantswife at 8:54 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Being a 3 month old puppy with free access to a toy box, you may find you need to move more than the chalk! My puppy is 5 months and he also goes for the chalk, among other things. I wouldn't worry too much but I would eliminate the problem by moving the toy box out of his reach.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 9:34 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My cat loves chalk, to the point we have had to hide the chalk that goes to DS art easel.  I was told it was not harmful, but may indicate a mineral deficiency.

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 10:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2011