Are sons like their fathers?

Can u prevent ur son from being like their father if their not around them? i heard its just the way ur raised and it has nothing to do with dna. is that true?

renah164

Asked by renah164 at 8:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• It depends on what you mean by "like their father." What DO you mean?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:26 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I wouldn't say it's NOTHING to do with DNA, because my husband and I are raising one son who has a different biological father and he is very different from the others, but it does have more to do with how they are raised. You teach them basic values and attitudes. The things they inherit from their father, biologically, are mostly only the physical things. What they are. Who they are is more up to you and how they are treated as kids.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:27 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Twin studies show that basic personality traits in adulthood have little to do with how someone is reared.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I think babies are born with a certain temperament and personality. That may or may not be like their fathers. Their personality is shaped and molded by their experiences, but some of that is inborn.

Answer by missanc at 8:29 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Gender of the child and the parent they will be most like doesn't matter .... it's the genes....my 20 yr old daughter has not been exposed to her dad for 13 yrs and yet she is so much like him that it is Hard to be around her I swear there is no part of "me" in her yet I was the one who raised her
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 8:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Kids are a combination of their mom, dad and upbringing. Sure, a lot of our natural personality is in our DNA, but we get our DNA from BOTH parents. And boys aren't automatically MORE like their dads... there are lots of boys who really take after their mom. And upbringing can really shape an individual's response to their natural personality. Like someone who's naturally hot-tempered might need to focus on identifying triggers and figuring out how to control or redirect their emotions so they don't hurt anyone, but it doesn't mean they are doomed to be thrown in jail for aggravated assult. It's all about how you use what you have.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• to swasson: just are boys more like their fathers or mothers or both....anything in general i asked this bc my sons father is a woman beater....is it just how u teach ur kid how to control their anger?
    renah164

Comment by renah164 (original poster) at 9:09 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• sometimes. My DH is nothing like his father. They kind of look alike & they are both kind of quiet...but on the inside, they are very different.

It really depends on the influence the father had on the son & how close they are obviously. Some boys want to be like daddy, some do their own thing.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:11 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• depends mostly on influence I think.
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 12:17 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• okay beating women is taught to them...my dad was a very bad person beat my mom alot...my mom left with her 3 kids one of which is a boy....my brother is 50 and never hurt or hit a woman in his life because my mom taught him better and he saw that it was our dad's fault for the marriage ending because dad was so mean.....men are abusive because they are not taught to respect women
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Jun. 15, 2011