E-cigarette/vapor smoking? While prego?

So my BFF smokes 1 pack a day. (I dont smoke and dont know too much about it) She got this electronic cigg, she said this is better for her in comparason to smoking. Is it? She said she wont stop and this is what she plans to do. What can I say to get her to stop? Is it really better? Is there anything else i can do thats so bad for the baby... I feel helpless....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well, the e-cig does still have nicotine in it though you can wean your self off of it by buying cartridges with less and less in it...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:39 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I have a friend who's liver was damaged from those things.....but if your friends DR says it's okay then it must be
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 8:42 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• it is MUCH better than smoking cigs because, while it does contain nicotine, it doesn't have all the tar and chemicals found in cigarettes. If she's not willing or doesn't want to quit, this is definitely a better choicce than continuing to smoke cigarettes.
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• You sound very self righteous. I bet you do not even know how hard it is to quit. At least she is trying to do something better for her and her baby. Sometimes the stress of quitting is worse for the baby than the occasional cigarette. How about you not make her feel worse than she probably already does about it and let her be an adult and make her own decisions and experience her own consequences.

*btw I am a NON-smoker*
    starlighthippie

Answer by starlighthippie at 9:43 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• The only thing in E-cigs is nicotine. The tar and chemicals have been removed. Is it better for you? In some ways yes but then again nicotine isnt good for you either. The E-cigarette is great for not being harmful to others (IE second hand smoke) but does it help you stop smoking? NOPE. Been there and done that. I gave up the E-cig, it gave me headaches because when you inhale on a cigarette you feel a 'burn' on the back of your throat. With the E-cig, you dont get that feeling so you tend to OVER inhale which gives you a headache when you 'over dose' on nicotene. Nicotene is not great for a baby but its better than all the other crap in a real cigarette. Im sure you care about your friend but most of us smokers just get pissed when someone harrasses us to stop. Stoping is something the smoker has to want to do. Excourage your friend, at least she is trying to do something a little healthier for her baby.
    rosepetal209

Answer by rosepetal209 at 6:03 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I have an E-Cigarette. It still contains nicotine, so its a little better than regular cigs, but still not good for the baby.
    AngelicaDem

Answer by AngelicaDem at 8:49 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Have a fight with her, gentleman. If would have beeing smoking while pregnant, my husband would have done I dont know what. If your girlfriend or partner or wife is self-concious woman, she should stop smoking at least during pregnancy. Be strong on her, because smoking woman makes unborn baby to receive less oxygine, therefore smoking ladies' babies are born premature with medical conditions in lungs and brain. You dont wish that for your baby.
    LadyGI

Answer by LadyGI at 1:22 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• whoah *whoah*whoah
    Wanabmommy

Answer by Wanabmommy at 12:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2011