Wisconsin Supreme Court reinstates Walker’s collective bargaining law... Are you Surprised?

The court found a committee of lawmakers was not subject to the state’s open meetings law, and so did not violate that law when they hastily approved the measure and made it possible for the Senate to take it up. In doing so, the Supreme Court overruled a Dane County judge who had struck down the legislation, ending one challenge to the law even as new challenges are likely to emerge.

The majority opinion was by Justices Michael Gableman, David Prosser, Patience Roggensack and Annette Ziegler. The other three justices – Chief Justice Shirley Abrahamson and Justices Ann Walsh Bradley and N. Patrick Crooks – concurred in part and dissented in part…

Legislative leaders had said they would have inserted the limits on collective bargaining into the state budget late Tuesday if the court hadn’t acted by then. But the high court ruled just before that budget debate was to begin…

In its decision, the state’s high court concluded that “choices about what laws represent wise public policy for the state of Wisconsin are not within the constitutional purview of the courts.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 8:36 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Good, the people spoke when the judge was voted on anyway.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Honestly yes, I am and I think it's great!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:19 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Common sense prevailed. Fantastic!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:45 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• http://topics.law.cornell.edu/wex/collective_bargaining

So---you really think that Walker was right to take Collective Bargaining away from workers? Doesn't he care about people?

Or does he only care about the"elite", the people who are wealthy and do not work where the Union is in charge? That's just not fair.

minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Not surprised
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:01 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• There's a bump, no I am not surprised. These collective bargaining laws and state immigration laws being passed are two steps in the right direction.
    Anonymous

• Not surprised. The "non-partisan" supreme court ruled exactly the way I knew they would. It musts puts more fuel on the fire for the recall elections coming up.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Deeelighted!!! It's the beginning of a trend to rid the country of abuses by unions in the public sector and that is a good thing. The socialist leaders of these unions want nothing more than to control and bleed the taxpayer...they could care less that so many of their members want the freedom to choose to belong to an union ...or not.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 11:29 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My cousin will be upset. LOL Seems they are not having much luck in recalling the Republicans they voted in
    during the last election either. Since I'm not in WI it's not really my call but I think all unions need to be curtailed anyway.
    It will help in the long run.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:26 AM on Jun. 15, 2011