Metaphorically speaking..

The devil and a friend of his were walking down the street, when they saw ahead of them a man stoop down and pick up something from the ground, look at it, and put it away in his pocket.

The friend said to the devil, "What did that man pick up?"

"He picked up a piece of Truth," said the devil.

"That is a very bad business for you, then," said his friend.

"Oh, not at all," the devil replied, "I am going to let him organize it."

What is the metaphor here? 

How does this metaphor fit or not fit, in terms of your own subjective reality/beliefs?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 8:38 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Religious Debate

• The man picked up only a piece of Truth--not all of the Truth. If you look at God (I am assuming that's what we're talking about here since Truth was capitalized) like a puzzle, one piece isn't going to get you anywhere--especially when you're using a finite brain to try an piece together an Infinite puzzle. That's just my take on it.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:38 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I am going to be honest here...I completely dont get it..maybe its my blonde moment but Im lost..
    Anonymous

• While we realize the need to "organize" many aspects of our community, we cannot organize a creed, a sect, a religion, to be imposed on others. How can one organize truth when we cannot agree on what is truth? I think it has something to do with organized religion...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• "How can one organize truth when we cannot agree on what is truth?"

; )

This is a good start. 

clarity333

Comment by clarity333 (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Wow. I did not need to read that right before bed.

I suppose how one interprets that depends on how one would perceive the "Devil".  Is he Evil Incarnate?  Is he the Abrahamic god's true counterpart?  Is he Yang to a Ying? 

I think, regardless,  the sort of "Truth" that would have an uppercase 'T', refers to something other than subjective fact, but rather the meaning ascribed by religious sorts, whereby it refers to their god.  That would mean that the "Truth" would be very difficult to categorize, since it is a subjective term, and probably won't fit neatly into any proper category, but one that fits only with that person's doctrine.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 12:17 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I have used a lot of words and see that I still haven't answered the question. At this point, after a very long day (and looking toward an even longer one tomorrow) I have to admit that I'm stumped. I can't see a clear metaphor, because like the "Truth" in the story, I think it's open to so many interpretations.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 12:19 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Funny that I'd be thinking of this question when I woke up this morning. The thing that throws me about it is the Devil. If it were a scientific metaphor, the devil wouldn't play a role in it--or if he does, in what role? I was thinking that the man picking up the "Truth" was finding some evidence of Evolution or some insight into the mind, and would have to, depending on his indoctrination, either try to fit it in with his religious beliefs or look at it objectively and fit it into wherever it belongs scientifically. But the "Devil", were he something other than a religious character, is what throws me. The "bad for business" phrase throws me, too, unless we take away any evil connotations of the "Devil", and he becomes science (perhaps evil to some religious minds), and that reference suggests that the person with the "Truth" still plays with the scenario I suggested. I have to think on this some more.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:51 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I'm very tired this morning, so I may need to think about this more later, but my first thoughts are pretty similar to Samurai's. If you pick up truth, it's just A truth not THE truth or it's only part of the truth or what it looks like from your perspective. I do believe it has something to do with organized religion as well, because I've read something about this before but I can't recall exactly what I read. Maybe I'll try to look it up later. It also reminds me of the line from The Prophet too: "Say not, "I have found the truth," but rather, "I have found a truth." from the Self-Knowledge section. I also just watched a program that was discussing Quantum Physics and Quantum Mechanics and how particles behave differently depending on whether they are being observed or not, so does all of reality depend on our perceptions like many Buddhists believe?
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:23 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• It doesn't.

1) It presumes that Satan is autonomous over man - He isn't. Satan doesn't allow/disallow us to do anything. He can only tempt us.

2) It presumes that God is NOT autonomous over man and therefore has no control over the doctrine of His Own Truth. Anything that man organizes that contradicts God is not Truth and therefore could not "pick it up and put it into his pocket." If man picks up truth, then in order for it to remain truthful, man cannot corrupt it. If man corrupts it, it is no longer truth but a lie. And just because an organized belief system is associated with Truth, doesn't negate that Truth.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 11:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2011