How do you know if your fears are completely irrational?

Okay my son ( 6 months old) keeps making a high squeaking sound when he inhales and he keeps opening his mouth like he's yawning, but he's not. It's not constant, not when he's sleeping or crying, but when he's excited or agitated. I keep thinking he's choking on something or has some kind of blockage. Or maybe it's from having GERD (I don't even know if he has this). Maybe his throat is damaged from acid. Right now I have him sleeping propped up on pillows despite the warnings. See! I think I'm crazy. This is really scaring me though. I go see the doc at 11 am tomorrow. But I'm ready to have a panic attack NOW. Help me.

MaMaMo531

Asked by MaMaMo531 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try not too panic, that won't help your son. I have seen my boy make weird faces and sounds as he grows up. I think it is mainly how they learn to make new sounds. There will probably be many more to come (if he is like my son). They look funny doing it; once you figure out what they are up to and ok!
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 9:31 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• It's probably normal. He is at the age where he is learning to mock expressions and make noises. Go ahead and take him to the doctor, just in case, but just try to keep yourself calm, and think "it's normal" until your doctor confirms or tells you what's up. It's only a few more hours. Just try to relax for now.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:30 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• at 6 mos, he can sleep elevated. you can elevate the crib if you need. he might just snore, and this is the start of it. let us know what the Dr tells you tho!!
    MONHOLLENMOM

Answer by MONHOLLENMOM at 10:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I would recomend putting the pillow under the crib mattress. This will prop him up with out the suffocation danger. I don't know what the sound is and I'm willing to guess it's nothing, but know that your fears are not irrational. As a mother it's your job to protect your child and worrying about him and making sure he's safe isn't crazy. It will get easier. i used to freak out over everything. For example I was sitting in the front yard one day with my son until I thought what if someone lost controll of their car and drove into the yard. Now he's 11 months and I still worry about crazy things but not that bad anymore. Godd luck at the doctor
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 9:14 AM on Dec. 12, 2008