Should I go ahead with MMR with my 2 year old sick>?

My son has had a cold for about a week and still has a runny nose. He has an appointment Thursday for a well check up and the MMR vaccine. He is 2 years old (26months) so yes it's already been delayed. My question is should I go ahead and get this shot Thursday with him being sick or would you wait?........... I'm already scared to death of this shot seeing how he had mild case of the chicken pox due to the chicken pox vaccine.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• Ask the Dr.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 9:12 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Hmmm....I would ask your doctor's advice on this. If it's just a mild cold, I would probably go ahead with it. The main thing I think is so that you know if any symptoms are a reaction to the shot or from something else.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 9:13 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• If he has a fever etc they wont (or shouldnt!) give it to him anyway. I am sure your Dr will assess whether he should have it or not, and if your not comfortable with his advice you always have the right to hold off for a week or so until he gets better.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Usually Doctors will suggest waiting until the cold is competely gone, They will delay the MMR for a while. But ask your Doctor ...he/she will know.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:15 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• doctor's will not usually give a vaccine to a sick child. seeing how his immune system is already fighting off one thing it would not be wise to add another on top of it. Wait until he's feeling better.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:22 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My doc gve us the choice when DD had a cold, we waited, there is no harm in waiting a week or two
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• The doctor probably won't do the shot if he's sick..... They usually wait until they are well.
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 3:16 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My son was sick around the time he was supposed to get his MMR and the doctor said we should wait. There's no harm in waiting an extra week or 2 until your child is well again.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2011