Catholic moms: I have a godparent question.

Pregnant with my third, thinking of asking a sister in law to be a godparent...but both of my sister-in-laws are single. Could we ask them both to be godparents? Or just one? What are the rules on godparents, aside from the obvious requirement for them to be Catholic?

cdecker83

Asked by cdecker83 at 9:22 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Roman Catholics say there must be a male and a female, and only one must be Catholic.
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 9:56 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I'm not catholic but my advice is to name both of them, if they are going to be a big influence on your child's life. Who is godparent to your first two children?
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 9:25 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Now, I'm not a practicing Catholic but my son's father is, and we had him baptised(?) in the Catholic church. They told us that the only rule was that there be a Godmother and a Godfather. I think the requirements are that they are supposed to guide their religion (I think)
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:26 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Mother and father in law are godparents to first daughter, married brother and sister in law to second daughter....not sure what to do for this baby.
    cdecker83

Comment by cdecker83 (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I am Catholic. You need a Godmother and Godfather. So you could ask one of your SIL's and then ask a male family member or friend.
    ramajil

Answer by ramajil at 10:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Yes only one needs to Catholic that is the case with all my children
    ramajil

Answer by ramajil at 10:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• There can only be one godmother so you can only ask one.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Congratulations. Yes you can ask both to be godparents. My sister is single and she is the only godparent for my youngest daughter.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:47 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Roman Catholics say there must be a male and a female, and only one must be Catholic
    >>>>>>
    Not true, we do however allowed Eastern Rite Orthodox to be God Parents

Canon 874 of the Code of Canon Law states that the office of sponsor, or godparent as it has been traditionally known, must be filled by a Catholic who has been confirmed and has received the Eucharist. He must be at least sixteen years old and live a life of faith that befits the role of sponsor.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:09 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Can. 873 There is to be only one male sponsor or one female sponsor or one of each. This directly from canon law. http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P2Y.HTM  You can only ask one of them.

daps

Answer by daps at 8:18 AM on Jun. 15, 2011