Does anyone else have a petite child? My ex is really pissing me off claiming our DD is underweight but doctor says she's fine.

I have two daughters with my ex-husband, a 7 year old and 5 year old. My 7 year old has always been in the 50th percentile for weight and height, my 5 year old has always been between 25% and 50% for height but 10% to 5% for weight. She was full term and weighed 6 lbs 11 oz. which was a noticeable difference from her older sister's birth weight of 8 lbs 9 oz. So basically my older daughter has always been average while my younger daughter has always been small. I've specifically asked my daughter's doctor as well as two other doctors in the practice if she is under weight and all three said no, she is fine and will mostly continue to be petite especially since I was her size as a kid too.

The problem is my ex-husband has a girlfriend who put in his head that our daughter is under weight and that I must be neglecting her. He knows she eats well and that she has always been small, he's been with this woman for six months and we've been divorced for 3 years and he never had an issue with our daughter being petite before.

BTW, my daughter weighs 34 lbs. at 5 1/2 years old. I'm not concerned about it, like I said I was just as tiny as her at that age and none of the doctors are concerned so this is part rant and also because I'm honestly curious if anyone else has a petite child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• would you rather have a rollie pollie or a skinny mini? lol thats how i look at it. as long as shes healthy tho it shouldnt matter.
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My daughter is very small for her age it is normal for some kids to be a bit small
    amberc09

Answer by amberc09 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Oh wow that is very tiny....my son is petite but not that small. Hes 2.5 and weighs about 27-28 lbs
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• my twins have always been SKINNY....they say as long as they aren't losing weight there's nothing to worry about. I would keep a record of her weights when you go in for check ups. Make sure she's having yearly physicals/check ups so that your doctor could go to bat for you if he gets crazy about it.
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 9:38 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Yes, my son is very petite. At 6.5 he weighs 38 pounds and is on the short side. He can still wear 4t's. However, both Dh and I are short and my son is a lot like my brother at that age so I'm not worried. If your dd is healthy and the dr. doesnt have any concerns then I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like your ex is just being a pain in the butt.
    Charizma77

Answer by Charizma77 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My daughter is also small. Sometimes its genetics and there really is nothing you can do about it. My daughter will be 5 in November and she weighs 30 lbs. So I imagine she's about where your daughter was a year ago. Most of the girls in my family are itty bitty. I'm not sure what to tell you about your ex, I wish I did.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My daughter weighed 38 pounds at 6 years old...

She just turned 7 ....two weeks ago...she is now 45 pounds...and damn beautiful at that..

Tell hubby to stick it.!
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 9:39 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Have him go to the Dr with you. Maybe if he hears it from a Dr then he will believe it.
    aj23

Answer by aj23 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My niece is tiny. Her and my oldest are same age....almost 3. I have a 20 month old son as well. My niece is two pounds heavier than my youngest. She is small for her age. However my mum and sister in law are both 5 feet. Her pediatrician says she is and has always gained weight on a steady scale of growth. Just because she is in lowest percentile doesn't make her unhealthy. A good doctor looks at individual growth scale.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:42 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• all children are created different. if your DR doesnt see an issue with it then tell him to bit your Butt and tell his GIRL FRIEND to butt out in matters that DONT concern you. matter of fact, tell him to go to the drs with you guys the next time you go and HE can ask for himself. I hate people like that.
    My bestfriend has 2 boys, one of wich is bigger and younger, her oldest looks anorexic but the child eats like a pig, he has a much faster matabolisim then his younger brother.
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 14, 2011