Who Homeschools?

I know school is almost out now, but how many hours a day do you spend teaching your kid(s).

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• i am planing on starting my ds soon with homeschooling. he's 3.5yrs. for the first month i am planing on doing it in half an hr blocks, for about an hr a day for the first month or 2, then step it up to an hr. he will get partly in the morning then the rest in the afternoon.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I don't yet, but I'm enrolling my youngest in k12 for 1st grade next year. In the process of getting enrolled and all that fun stuff right now.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:36 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Homeschoolers homeschool. That answers your first question.

Okay, okay, we homeschool. It can take anywhere from 2 to 5 hours a day.
    Anonymous

• Oh, that obviously doesn't include outside classes like PE, Music, martial arts, and other activities.
    Anonymous

• roughly 3. But we also do educational videos, which adds on time, field trips all of the time, and since its one on one it is so easy to teach him, compared to having a class of 20+.
    He is in 1st grade, and doing 3rd grade math, 2nd grade language arts, and reading well beyond his grade level. Because we are at home we are able to do more hands on learning too which is what he needs and helps him excel.

For the summer we just do an hour every day. Nothing heavy, all hands on and all fun. well not everyday, 4 days a week. So he will be in '2nd' grade soon, in accordance to my district by his age, and I'm excited but it's really just a continuum of what he is doing now, just more in depth and progressively more challenging.
    Anonymous

• We're starting next week, actually. I figure about 3 hours day. That's not including their fine arts, gym and music.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:14 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My boys are not homeschooled but I'm doing a quasi-summer school this summer to keep the oldest in school mode. We have a theme for each week, selected by them, that includes discussion, trips, coloring, projects, etc. Their artwork is displayed all over the house and will be put in a folder or something after the summer is over.

As for time spent, it depends on the day but since I have a newly minted 3 yo and his attention span isn't as great as his brother's, we tend to stick with small bursts (10-30 min) thru-out the day. I try to make their free play dictated by the weekly theme such as dramatic play (costumes) or building blocks to make a zoo (animals and birds), playdoh cutters, and so on.
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 7:43 AM on Jun. 15, 2011