WHO HAS A CHILD WITH A PEANUT ALLERGY?

How's it going? and what level is the allergy? are you homeschooling your child?

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My ds is 20 months old and has a peanut allergy. We are hoping he outgrows it before school. If not, he will still attend.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 9:59 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• DD's best friend in elementary school had one that was very severe. They took lots of precautions at school. The family talked about 'safe' situations for him to be in to prevent exposure to peanuts.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My son is severely allergic. He has an epi pen at school and at home. You can obtain a 504 health plan that will make your child's classroom nut free. This is similar to and IEP, but for medical needs. DS is 7 1/2 and was diagnosed at 1. We (knock on wood) have not had any subsequent reactions. We have found that the school community has been very supportive and understanding. You may even be able to transfer to a different school if they are more prepared for allergies than your home school. we got DS a medic alert bracelet and at hte age of 2 he understood about foods that are safe and unsafe. We taught him that when he met knew people to show them his bracelet and let them know "no nuts" as well as no dairy, soy, chocolate, tomatoes and well the list went on. :) Luckily he has outgrown most of his allergies except nuts and shellfish and some environmental stuff. Just so you know, your DD is protected by law.
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 10:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I know of a child who is severely allergic to peanuts. He will be going to my girls school next year and the school is going completely peanut free. If he so much as breaths the air with peanut in it his throat swells and he could die. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:22 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• wow you found out at a young age...my dd is 4 now & was retested & still is we had a blood test done & she is right in the middle of high & low we are keeping her home until she is a little older & understands better...schools here are NOT peanut free. Very dangerous.
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 10:01 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• tomib I am in Canada the schools are peanut free in Ontario but not B.C. we can't risk it we will worry 24-7 (we will anyways) but she will be home schooled for a while until she is older...I looked into the medi alert I was surprised they want you to pay to join? and pay every year?
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• the schools do their best to make it a peanut free environment but thats not good enough its too dangerous
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My daughter is severely allergic. On a testing scale of 0 to 5 she's a high 4. She's just finishing up her 2nd year of elementary school in the public school system. Our schools are not peanut-free nor do I want them to be for a number of reasons. We've worked with the school nurse and DD's teacher to ensure that DD's allergies are properly managed. We have no concerns at all - she's in very competent hands there. More importantly, when DD was diagnosed at 2 years old we began working with her to help her manage her own allergies. She'll be 7 in Sept and she is her own best advocate. I wouldn't leave it to just her, but I know she is safe because she is on top of things herself and she's been able to do that since she began preschool at 3. I refuse to raise her in a bubble or be afraid. She can live a normal life if we're smart - so we are and she does.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2011