Okay, so just a question, wonderng if anyone thought the same

I'm a tax preparer. I am here in California, am registered, if you feel the need you may look me up. Okay
So after doing taxes for a wide range of people, poor, rich, in between, I have realized, the government, the federal gov, gives so many credits to people. For instance, legally I cannot disclose too many specifics, but a woman, mom of one, made roughly 9k, got back near 5.5k??? so she got back in taxes over half of what she made? There's no way she paid that much, in fact she only paid a couple hundred. And there's many cases where this has happened.

Anyone ever think, maybe we should cut all of the tax credits to every one for just one tax season, that may help the US out tremendously? I say Obama should just get re-elected, and cut the credits just one year. LOL spending won't go down ever, let's face it, there aren't any legit reps coming to bat, and since so many people don't like him already, why not?

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 9:59 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Tax credits are Orwellian Newspeak for Wealth Distribution.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 11:21 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• The tax credits were supposed to stimulate the economy. It's not working, because instead of feeding the cash/money back into the system. People are using that money to pay the debts they already have, off.
    Spending will go down when the people decide that we run the government and not the politicians.
    Anonymous

• I do think they should get rid a of lot of the credits! I don't think it's fair to get back thousands more than what you paid in. When that happens not only are the people paying in paying your taxes, they are giving you extra money.

DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 10:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Anon, what are paying off debts? Putting money back into the economy. "Oh, I don't have any debts, I can go wrack up some more debt now!"

No, the economy won't get any better until the government starts learning to live within their means.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• There are lots of tax credits which do need to go...I agree that far, no problem.

But re-electing the guy that came up with so many of them? Not so much.

Remember, Obama thinks that if we just get more money out of the rich, we'll be economically saved: well, here's the actual math on that. 

Anonymous

• @DSamuels....yes I hear ya. I don't even like preparing the general publics taxes any more, I have stopped, now I only do business taxes. More specifically I consult for businesses as well. I do taxes for family and friends now, but thats as far as income taxes as I like to touch into now.

@hopeandglory53....the public, even poor and rich, should live within their means as well. getting 5k in a return when you only pay a few hundred is obsurd. not to mention only earning less than 10k. It's just irritating to me. But I can't control it, so now I refuse to support it.
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Yes I know Obama says that...I just wish we could vote on the tax cuts instead of having them just go thru blindly. He is pleasing the people who are the majority of the country right now, that way he can earn the majority vote, but in the end I hope he just brings the hammer down and throw the book at everybody.

AND not to mention, the only new taxes that came from his were the making work pay, and one other where you could write off the taxes for your home or car, as long as it was purchased new. All of the EIC credits, dependent credits, etc were here long before he was in charge.
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Oh, I don't disagree that EVERYONE should live within their means. I've been doing it my entire life. If my husband tells me he wants something, I tell him that we need to save for it then, and make a plan to save for it.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:30 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• @hopeandglory53
    I hear ya there. I have an issue in my household, which is how I see how people would like money thrown at them. My SO, smh, a spending addict, not literally. But you would think since I am a tax preparer, and consultant, and I do all of the legal and financial work for his business he would pick up a thing or two, not to mention I am a Junior in college as a statistics major...lol NOPE In fact, I'm having him sign a financial contract tonight, I am just up to here *hand at head* with the spending spending spending. This is not Monopoly, it's real life...lol small vent

maybe everyone should have to sign a financial contract, lol jk then the credit companies wouldn't like that.
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Jun. 14, 2011