How to help niece/nephews from moron parents?

So my delima started about 3 years ago when I went to live with my brother and sil. My sil was pregnant with their second child so I went to help with my niece and soon my nephew. Being around them 24/7 I saw how lazy my brother was and how lazy my sil was. I understand she just had a baby but even months after she was very lazy. Didn't play with the kids, wouldn't cook and if she did she wouldn't clean up the mess for day even weeks. She would give my niece the same sippy cup for weeks without washing it out. I would clean and play with the kids as much as possible but 2 months after moving in I got a job. Anyways, my sil wouldn't clean, wouldn't dry the clothes all the way so they all smelled like mildew. Had food smashed in the carpet and never cleaned it out. When my nephew got older it got even worse because she never watched them so they would shove pads/tampons down the toilet, pink finger nail polish all over the walls. My niece at 3 had to have both her front teeth pulled and all her others capped. She blamed it on the passy but then my nephews teeth started to do the same and he never had a passy. I was becuase they never brushed their teeth (unless they were at my house) never drank anything other than kool-aid and chocolate milk. She never fed them anything other than hot dogs, string cheese, and other fast meals. Never any veggies. They never even had a fruit smoothie until my niece was 4 and my nephew was 3. The only fruit they ever had was grapes and apples. But that was very rare. I used to take the kids for the weekends and have them try all kinds of new foods. It was easy to get my nephew to try anything at least once but my niece was a lot harder. I had to bribe her. I didn't want to have to but usually once she tried it then she realized it wasn't so bad. My sil bought my niece preschool books and got mad at her because at age 4 she didn't know what a circle was. When my niece was 2 she could count to 10 but by age 3 she couldn't remember her numbers. They never worked her. They would come to my house and we'd go over their ABC's, counting, colors. It was really hard and still is really hard for me because I had to move from them and so I can't be there for them. Help them. My niece had to get held back in preschool because she was behind on counting, speech, etc. And my brother could care less as long as he doesn't have to deal with it. They had another baby. He's 8 months now and I have yet to meet him and it kills me. I love them and I would do anything for my niece and nephews. I was a daddy's girl so when I see that my brother favors the boys and pretty much can't stand his daughter it hurts. I know I don't have kids, but am I wrong that I feel that this is wrong? I confronted them, but it just caused a big tiff for a few months. What would you do if you say this going on? My sil is one of those people that if she asks for something (money mostly) and you don't give her any then she hold the kids from seeing you until she's done being mad. Kind of when you hold a treat infront of your dog and tease them. She's done that many times and my brother doesn't care.

dsadang

Asked by dsadang at 10:12 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Kids' Health

• That is sickening. Unfortunately u could talk until u are blue in the face and all they will do is not let u see the kids.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:17 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Unless there is actual neglect, there really isn't much you can do. Your SIL is feeding her kids, might not be the best foods available but she is feeding them. Try and take the kids on weekend outings so they can get the love and attention they deserve. Hopefully once the kids are in school, a teacher or school personnel will question situation and make it better.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:54 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I would at least call CPS to do a welfare check. Neglect is also child abuse.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 1:29 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• frustratedI've thought about calling CPS but I don't want to lose my rights to see the kids. My brother is in the army so I at least thought I could get his squad leader to do a check of the house like they do barracks checks but he said he didn't have enough reason to, but they can. My sil grew up in a house hold where it wasn't ever clean so I can understand why it doesn't bother her, but my mother never ever let things get dirty. Everything was clean. So that just means my brother is very lazy. So very sad!!

dsadang

Comment by dsadang (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• You can call anonymously. And your niece and nephews cannot speak for themselves.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yes I agree with Mom Mom23 answer but you may have too call more than once.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 12:36 AM on Jun. 20, 2011