When charting does it matter if you take your temp around the same time everyday?

My temp usually is around 97.00 never under that. I to ok my temp a couple of hours earlier than normally do and my temp was 96.60. I was happy about it cause I thought I was about to ovulate but my temp was back around the same temp 97.33. I was hoping it would spike but sadly it didn't. I just wanted to know if time would make a difference. Thanks ladies and good luck to those ttc. GOD BLESS :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• Same time every day, before getting out of bed. The idea is to create as much of a consistent outline as possible since the differences in degrees change so easily when they're looked at that closely.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I know that a person's temperature varies during the day, so I suspect you need to take it the same time every day. But I've never tried charting so can't answer with authority. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 10:24 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• When I charted, I took my temperature as soon as I woke up which was at about the same time every day. You need to chart for a while so you can see the trends and be able to predict ovulation. Using an OPK can work better as it tells you before you ovulate.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:25 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Ideally, you should take your temp at the same time every day, right when you wake up, before you even get out of bed. However, if you wake up earlier than normal, it's better to go ahead and take your temp then, because once you get up, it's not accurate anymore (as far as BBT goes).

That being said...I have charted my temps religiously for years, and I quickly got out of the habit of doing it quite so stringently. I don't get up at the same time every day, just take my temp when I do wake up, and I still get a very reliable chart out of that. You have to remember that charting temps is not a good way to know when you're going to ovulate, just when you already have. So if that's what you're looking for, you may want to consider charting cervical mucus or using OPKs in addition to temping. Also, typical BBT shift is only about 0.5ยบ, so you're not looking for anything huge.

Good luck!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:20 AM on Jun. 15, 2011