Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why can't court awarded family members get compensation like foster parents

I have been having such a time getting Hamilton County to help with purchasing medical equipment and supplies for my 8 year old great great niece who has Spastic Quadriplegic Cerebral Palsy, Epilepsy and a host of other medical problems. When Children's Services awarded me custody of my great great niece 6 1/2 years ago, they told me that there were many programs to help with all her special needs. Now I can't get them to purchase a Shower head, A ramp, a medical vest that helps with her posture since she has scoliosis, or hardly any other services beside homehealth care that I do not want. Since I do not work in order to take care of my little niece 24/7, I cannot afford legal services. I need a lawyer to help me fight for my nieces right to have proper personal care and medical equipment! Any suggestions out ther?

Answer Question

Asked by glory725 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Kids' Health

Level 2 (11 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Is it Hamilton County, TN? If so, I think I might have a few resource numbers that I can pass along to you to see if you have tried them or not.

    Answer by JeremysMom at 10:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • This may be a dumb question, but is she on disability? Have you tried that? They help you with stuff like that. Also if you are in Tennessee is she on Tenncare? They will cover her medical equipment (I think). Good luck and bless your heart for taking her in and loving her she is a lucky child.

    Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:36 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • Contact the public assistance office and see if you qualify for Kinship funding. It's for relatives that are taking care of a family memeber. Also, if she's on SSDI, then she should quailfy for medicare/medicaid and they should cover medically necessary equipment. Check out the Katie Beckett Foundation too. They help special needs children get the supplies and equipment that they need. Good luck!!!

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • Have you applied for your local medicaid waiver program? It will qualify her for non income based Medicaid and they cover that type of equipment in addition to a multitude of other services. Here in NC it's called CAP, but it has a different name in every state.

    Answer by missanc at 9:00 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • See about getting her on disability and then she can get disability medical and her docs can write scripts for everything.

    Answer by Jenniy at 10:43 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • Contact your state representative's office. Your governor's office. They should be able to help you get through the red tape

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:46 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.