My son a pervert! Now what?

He's 16 and knows better than to look at any unclean or indecent material. I don't let him watch MTV or VH1 or any other channel that shows videos of half-dressed women gyrating their bodies. That kind of thing rots and corrupts the mind. We had many conversations about this and he knows better than to watch that garbage.

Yesterday, he was watching TV alone. He didn't know that I could see the reflection of the TV in the glass cabinet we have. One of those Victoria's Secret commercials came on which is pretty much 30 seconds of prime-time pornography. Why the networks allow it is beyond me. Anyway, my son knows he's supposed to change the channel when anything of this nature is on TV. Instead he muted the TV, thinking he was being all clever so that I wouldn't hear the commercial. But I didn't need to hear because I saw everything. He watched the entire commercial from beginning to end! He made absolutely no attempt to turn away or otherwise protect himself from it. He knew he was doing wrong and he did it anyway. I would like to flush this perversion out of my son once and for all but I don't know how. I would also like suggestions on how to punish him for looking at the forbidden material. I don't like physical punishments but I see no alternative. "Spare the rod, spoil the child" has stood the test of time for a reason.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I smell a troll.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:36 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• sidesplittinglaughterPlease tell me you are joking.....right?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:24 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• You are just pushing him to be curious. It has been forbidden and it makes it more alluring. It is natural for a boy his age.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Seriously? I too am a Christan mom trying to raise a moral son in this society. But I also expect my son to be curious and be human. While I do not condone watching those commercials either I also won't freak if my son sees it.

He knows ur stance, he knows right from wrong. But let him figure out for himself that those commercials are disrespectful. Don't nag him.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:30 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Wow you are extreme....

instead for forbidding anything...how about telling him why those commercials are on there...

The more you take away....the more he will sneek..

Trust me I am one of those people that hates any commerical, tv show, magazine etc...that explots women....

but I feel that you could handle this better....

Talk to him about what he is really seeing, tell him how you feel about how woman are portrayed....

Teach him how to respect the female body.....don't forbid it...educate it...

Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 10:32 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Your son is not a pervert he is doing something that all teenage boy do. Around this age puberty sets in and they start to be more curious sexually. The farther you push him in one direction the farther he is going to push in the other.
    Anonymous

• Wow, all of this over a TV commercial.. No man or teenage boy in their right mind would turn the channel.. I agree with above posters.. Watching a commercial is not a pervert, it is normal.. Forbidding this, MTV etc.. Is a bit much at his age... He is not 5, stop treating him like it and teach him how to treat and respect girls..You can't hide him from everything so you should just teach how it should be done regardless what he sees on TV..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:34 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Lol don't mean to laugh but he is just being a teenage boy with hormones! I agree with the other ladied but I din't think you're a bad mom or anything...just trying to protect your baby
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 10:35 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Why would I joke? I've done my best but don't know what to do next. I'm at my wits end here and need help, not rudeness!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• LOL julie, my first thought too but you never know :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:38 PM on Jun. 14, 2011