Tips for a diaper rash

My 8 month old daughter has a really bad diaper rash, what are some things to help it besides Desitin or baby powder?

Tigger555

Asked by Tigger555 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Aquaphor, Lotrimin AF (yes, the stuff for Athletes Foot). If she is blistering take her to the doc for Nystatin cream. But try the Aquaphor first. You can also let her "air out" for about 15 minutes at a time. Just lay her on a folded up blanket or sheet on the floor and let her air out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:29 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I hear corn starch works....I personally use a and d
    luvingmamaof2

Answer by luvingmamaof2 at 10:38 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• first make sure to completely clean the area.. allow to dry first.. then apply vaseline and cornstarch mixed together.. the vaseline will help keep moisture from urine and poop out of the infected are and the cornstarch will help it heal. Be sure to frequently change the diaper and use the same technique each time until 3 days after it's ocmpletely healed to make sure its fully gone.. it should start to clear up in a day.. if it lasts longer than three days after this seek a doctor.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:59 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• tyfry7496: not sure why you suggest using a product like that.. athletes foot is a fungal infection...
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:00 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• wash the bottom with mild soapie water 3x a day let air dry then put on a clean diaper and change it regularly--- almost ALL diaper rash is fungal but skin fungus is killed by light and oxygen
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:35 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Nothing worked with my daughter except for butt paste. Its a brand of diaper rash cream and can be found with desitin and all that other stuff. We tried everything. Butt paste has a higher percent of the stuff in it that helps get rid of diaper rash.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 11:43 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• If diaper rash cream isn't working it may be a yeast infection, even little boys can get them in their creases and whatnot...when my boys have gotten them, their pediatrician has told me to use the Lotrimin Ultra also, and it's always cleared right up. Also, make sure you let it get plenty of air, and change her diapers regularly. BUT, I will also say, with her being a little girl, you might want to use Monistat instead....I'm not positive, I would call her pediatrician and ask, just to be sure.
    summermail88

Answer by summermail88 at 12:10 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Well, air is the best thing. When my daughter was an infant and got diaper rash, I actually blow dried her hiney. I pushed the blue COOL button and blow dried her hiney to ensure that she was dry, then put on the ointment (I love A & D), followed by the diaper. It worked great for us. Another thing you can do (which I did), take the pad from your changing table and put it on the floor with a towel on top. Let your baby be naked baby!! Let that hiney get some air!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:34 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Oh and tyfry is suggesting the fungal ointment, because it's not always your average diaper rash, but sometimes a yeast/fungal infection.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:35 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I only use the safest & healthiest with my babies:
    Breastmilk.

:-)

Be sure to air dry, too.
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:16 AM on Jun. 15, 2011