Unbelievable hair loss

My 22 year old son who has had a full head of hair is almost literally bald. His doctor (endocrinologist) took tests and says that there is nothing wrong and they checked his blood and didn't seem to find anything wrong. He is under a lot of stress because he has been studying nonstop for 4 years straight but I don't think I should blame this hair-loss on stress. He also isn't only loosing hair on his head, his eye brows are almost all gone! He was such a handsome young man and now he is practically bald! My husband and I are going crazy. Can anyone help? Or refer us to anyone. Our location is troy,michigan.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Health

• Try a dermatologist, although it sounds as though you've covered the medical aspect. Has he tried rogaine? Sometimes people lose their hair early because of genetics. There was a guy in my college class who was going bald in his early 20s.

Answer by Bmat at 10:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Thank you for your answer but I don't believe the problem is that he is going bald... It's an immune problem we just can't figure out what :( But yes we will also make an appointment for a dermatologist!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:01 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Last year I lost a good bit of hair due to stress. Luckily, I had thick hair so it is only noticeable in certain spots. It is finally starting to grow back.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:01 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Is he losing his hair in spots? I have Alopecia Areata and have had it for over 50 years, most of my life. It has turned into Alopecia Universalis now, meaning over my whole body. I've now lost all my hair on my head, have no eyebrows, eyelashes or nose hair. I've been to doctors all my life and nobody ever really could tell me the cause. My last check with a dermatologist was a couple months ago and all he could tell me was that yes, it's an autoimmune disease. They don't know how or why and even if, the hair will ever grow back. Off and on all my life I'd have bald spots that I'd have to deal with, but the hair always grew back, with or without treatment. The hair has been gone now for about 3 years. Don't know if this helps, but at least it could be a place to start. Good luck.

JeannieBee

Answer by JeannieBee at 12:41 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My step sister has Alopecia Universalis..has had it since high school.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:18 AM on Jun. 15, 2011