What do you think of this statment?

"Beware of all promises of eternal life in which your death is a prerequisite"

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it is inevitable that we are all going to die and I think regardless of what others think of the afterlife I know what I believe.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:52 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Reminds me of the snake from the book "Redwall," promising the rodents eternal life- great read btw.

Do any religions have that? I mean I know a lot of religions have the whole "we're all mortal, and therefore subject to death" thing...but a lot also have some examples of somebody being "taken up" or transformed, or what have you into eternal life without tasting death...meaning it wouldn't be a actually be a requirement.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 10:55 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Just another silly statement out of thousands...
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 11:11 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I think it points the reader in a direction that encourages skepticism of the promise, and the person making the promise.
    If someone can offer "eternal life" then why should death be not only a prerequisite, but a reality at all?
    clarity333

Answer by clarity333 at 11:32 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I guess it depends on how someone defines life, death and if you believe your body dies and your soul lives on...I believe that after our bodies have fulfilled life on Earth, our souls live on- some believe in reincarnation, some believe the death of the body is the end, some believe in eternal life of the soul-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:52 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• You're gonna die anyway, so why not make sure you'll "cash in" on the promise when you do?
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:43 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I think it's a flippant comment, I suppose, meant to be clever
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 2:57 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Gods reap the benefit of the devotion and service of their slaves--all on a promise of a glorious life after they die. Not WHILE they're alive. After. A promise that NO follower knows for dead certain, without a doubt is even going to happen. They claim that they KNOW that heaven, summerland, valhalla,the elysian fields, etc. are real. But they don't KNOW it, because none of them are allowed to go have a look at this prime real estate and decide for themselves if it is "as advertised". Politicians do this all the time--making promises they never keep. You'd think that humanity would have LEARNED by now!! But we keep believing the lies.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:08 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I don't know about every teaching about eternal life in all religions, but I do believe Jesus' teachings about eternal life and being 'born again' are often misunderstood. Like it says in the Gospel of Philip: "People who believe they will die first and then rise up are mistaken. If they do not first receive resurrection while they are alive, once they have died they will receive nothing" (Gospel of Philip 73:1-5). Based on a lot of what I've read, I believe a lot of the teachings were related to realizing your true self in this life and breaking the cycle of reincarnation.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:04 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I like it.. it's a different way IMO of saying live life to the fullest and dont' hold back based on fear of an afterlife that may never come to be.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:52 AM on Jun. 15, 2011