Do you have kids close in age? I want mine to be 3 years apart, but is it too soon? What to consider when planning for another?

I have one
19month old
I am 19, will be 20 in sept

I want another one soon. My hubby and I are going to try for another soon so we have a 3-4 year difference between kids.
Then I want to wait a while before I have a third.

I know it's an odd question but I feel ready, the hubs is hesitant, but wants our kids to be close in age. He just keeps saying...wait until you are done with school....blah blah I don't wanna lol I have juggled school and work for a while now, I am a statistics major in my junior year and I want to also have a second before I graduate because I don't want to be out looking for jobs with a baby at home, or better yet get into a career and keep holding off.

Right now I wear many hats. Student, temporary job, which is ending at the end of summer, tax consultant, which I am ready to stop already besides for family and friends, mommy, co-owner of our business. I can hang a few of those hats up to have a baby. I'll just be mommy, student, and co-owner of business.

what do you think? I really don't want my kids to be far apart in age, and I have wanted my kids to originally be 18 mos apart, lol glad I didnt do that.

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 11:31 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• I originally wanted my little ones to be only a couple years apart...my sister and I are 13 months apart. Well, my daughter will be 3 in August and still not trying for another one. The chips fall where they may. You may WANT another one, and that's fine, but maybe just evaluate things and see if it really is a good time. I don't think there is a rule as to when you should have a second or even a third for that matter. Enjoy your little one..you have a lot going on it sounds like :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My kids are 15 months apart and I love that they are so close in age. I want another, but know it's not the right time. Only you can know what is best for your family. It sounds like you have thought this out pretty well. I say that if you really want to and know you can handle it, then go for it! Good luck on your decision. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:34 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I got preg w #2 when ds was 19 months old. It is the best ever! The two are 15 mos and 31/2 now and play together really well. Also, when dd was a newborn her older brother didn't try to pick her up or play too rough w her. Friends w kids 3+ yrs apart seemed to have a harder time w the older kid during the new born baby phase. Whenever you have #2, it'll be all you know and you'll be fine with it. Good luck in your decision of ttc!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:35 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My son was 3.5 when his sister was born. It's the perfect age for us. He's always been super helpful and protective of her. They're also good friends. I can't imagine having them closer together.

My husband has 2 brothers that are 11 months apart and STILL don't get along as grown adults. I had a friend in high school who was 18 months older than her sister. THEY still fight like cats and dogs.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My younger 2 are 16 months apart and were SO not planned that way. But we got lucky and both are girls. They have great days that they play really nice together and some where they don't. My oldest is 11 and a boy, the girls are 7 and 6 so sometimes ds is left out and some times younger dd is left out. I do feel bad for older dd, she didn't get the alone mommy time the other 2 had. Good luck!
    threebrats

Answer by threebrats at 11:48 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• mine are close in age. Both DH and I prefer that. We have a girl turning 2 this month, a boy who turned 3 in april and we are going to try again at the end of the summer probably.
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 12:02 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• my kids are 24&25, 18 & 19 and 6 here is the thing my 24 yr old has Aspergers so even though she is close in age with her siblings she is the farthest apart...one thing I have realized is the age space does not matter because we do not know the children we are going to be blessed with. you could have 2 kids 3 yrs a apart that hate eachother...you could have 2 kids 2 yrs a apart and one is a nerd and one is a jock. you have to do what you think is right as far as affording them..do you want 2 kids in college at the same time or do you want to have it where one graduates college and the 2nd one is just going in...from what I know college is the most expensive part of having kids..it is cheaper to have them in diapers and daycare.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:09 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I never thought of college, hmmm But I know an easy way around that state college or scholarships, no fancy schools lol not until a graduates program, then you can go fancy.
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 12:13 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Our three kids are almost exactly three years apart an I love it! By the time baby arrives, the older child is a little more independent and close to, if not fully, potty trained. It's soon enough to still be able to switch to baby mode but far enough apart to keep your body healthy. Do what feels right for you....school will be harder to finish the more busy you become with children!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:18 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My oldest was 18 months when I had our second! Our second was 2.5 years when I had our third! So all in all I had 3 kids in 4 years and I wouldn't change it for the world! I love my kids close ages!! We are done having kids but if we weren't I would for sure have another really close again!
    06-07mom

Answer by 06-07mom at 1:36 AM on Jun. 15, 2011