Are you experiencing hair loss?

Not the type related to pregnancy.
Just unexpected hair loss/thinning of your hair.

What are you doing for this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Health

• This happened to me too and I went to see an endocrinologist to test my thyroid. It was determined that I had hypothyroidism. Have you had your thyroid tested? You might want to do that. Good luck, I know it sucks!
    kdwiegandt

Answer by kdwiegandt at 12:05 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Also, a lot of different medications restrict blood flow, which causes hair loss among many other awful side effects. My dr prescribed Ambien and Phentermine and my hair was coming out in huge giant gobs.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:22 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Wow...I am NOT the only one then? I have had problems with this for years. I kept asking my Dr about the medications I'm on (I'm a chronic pain patient)..he didn't seem to think so. Neither did my pharmacist. Nonetheless, my hair is just way thinner than it ever was. It's very frustrating and a real downer. I have read numerous articles online....I started taking Biotin 5000, and GNC vitamins for hair...their are several that specifically are for hair. Over a few months...I have new baby hair growth and my hair has stopped falling out other than normal hair loss. I was crying in the shower a few times as I ran my fingers through my hair and literally "gobs" of hair was left in my fingers. You talk about SCARED. It's better now....I was lacking nutrients, vitamins, minerals. I did not want anymore pharmaceuticals....I'm already forced to live on the ones I'm currently on and wanted to solve this problem naturally.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 1:00 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I want to see a an endocrinologist anyway but have no idea of the cost for this. Any info would be wonderful. I don't know anyone who has seen one and I'm just clueless really. Would love to have some tests ran though for something else.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 1:02 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Thank you to those of you who have responded already. Yes, it's horribly frustrating and sad. As women, we are not socially prepared for hair loss.

I'm on no medications. My hair loss has been sorta sudden -- over the last month, I've developed a "thin patch" about the size of a nickle, about an inch into my hair line from my forehead. I'm going to try and see a dermatologist, but in the mean time, I have an appt with my OBGYN to get my hormone levels checked (I'm 37).

I've also read Rogaine (minoxidil) is the only FDA approved product for treating hair loss, so I'm probably gonna try it. And I'll try some vitamins too. Would love to see more discussion about this though -- I think it needs to be talked about more openly.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:00 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Fourteen years ago i started experiencing significant hair loss. I started to save the hair that i loss in baggies, then took them to the dr. with me so he could see how much hair i was losing. come to find out i had what he call Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. I was having a delayed response to my emotional crises from when husband cheated on me several months earlier. Stress can come out in many forms. It went away and my hair today is just as thick as it always was

dmr73059

Answer by dmr73059 at 3:59 AM on Jun. 15, 2011