Is this normal?

My DS, 5, is going through a licking phase? He licks EVERYTHING... I'm not kidding, toys, my cell phone, the fly swatter? He's never been a finger sucker or licker, this is new. Like within the last month. He had a binki he was very attached to as a baby but it went away when he was 2 and that's the last time he put anything in his mouth. Now I spend 3/4 of my day telling him to stop licking things. Do I need to be concerned? Anyone else's 5 year old go through a oral phase?

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:42 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my little sister did this! no lie!! I never heard of another kid doing this!! We just had to basically ignore it.. My mom would tell her not to lick stuff and she would just continue to do so.. so when we started ignoring her she stopped after awhile.. good luck.. that was a pain in the a** with my little sister
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 12:46 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My cousin did this. I agree with the other lady just ignore it and it will stop soon :)
    GabbyP.

Answer by GabbyP. at 12:47 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Thanks ladies we'll give ignoring a try. Unless it;s my phone, I don't want to pay for the replacement lol. Not to mention get ds's spit all over my ear when I go to answer a call lol.
    ba13ygrl1987

Comment by ba13ygrl1987 (original poster) at 12:51 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I think it is normal. Maybe asking for attention? Not Sue. But I've seen other kids do this.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 12:58 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I'm not sure it's "normal", but I have seen other kids do it.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 6:38 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• No, but I know friends who have kids that did this at the same age.
    Madelaine

Answer by Madelaine at 8:56 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• kids do wierd things, my son used to cut his school shirts all the way up to third grade... umm while in class. My nephew used to knaw the rubber off vid game controllers so they were not usable. I feel certain it is a phase.
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Kids are funny! My 5 yr old doesn't lick a lot of stuff, but he likes to lick windows in the winter because they are cold and he likes the condensation. It's so gross! I find if I tell him no, he does it more. If it ignore it, he stops quicker.
    Sarahb21

Answer by Sarahb21 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My dd does this but she is 3
    PrincessPeach06

Answer by PrincessPeach06 at 3:00 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• my dd did when she was 3.
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 3:29 PM on Jun. 15, 2011