Ultrasound risks???

just saw an answer to a ultrasound question and this one woman said that there are risks getting an ultrasound what are they? i've never heard of this

mamawilbur

Asked by mamawilbur at 12:53 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I researched this when I was pregnant. It is a fact the fetus tries to move away from the ultrasound source; there must be some pain. It is a fact that **frequent** ultrasounds cause slow speech development. I read this and then observed the same in my neighbor's kids. Coincidence? You be the judge... With our first, I was naive, but our OB was excellent and performed minimal ultrasounds. The tech was good and kept exposure short. With my second, we may have had an early ultrasound (can't remember), but we declined the standard 5 month US. Never regretted it - after I learned of the risks, I thought what's the point? We would never abort, we didn't want to know the sex. I just couldn't think of a good reason to do it.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 1:34 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yes there are.
    I think that a lot of sources will say that the risks are still unknown, but... no one can prove U/S to be risk-free, either.
    I read about risks and see info regarding:
    Concerns for neurological damage, damage nervous system, delayed speech, cavitation, birth defects-- are enough for me.
    Elevating the fetal tissue can damage-mutate cells, and the sound is terribly loud.

There are pros & cons to testing & interventions, it's our job to weigh the risks to see if it's worth it.
    Most of us will ask questions before doing other tests, we should evaluate ultrasound as well.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:34 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• ValMommy17 - I don't think talking to the OB will help. They will always try to talk you into it because 1) they make money off of it 2) they are always trying to limit liability because of malpractice risk and they perceive that doing the ultrasound limits their liability more (sure, if the baby is slow to learn speech, for example, it is so far removed from the birth they would never get blamed for it, right?). 3) Standard practices for births in this country are insane - look at our C section rate. How can you trust what the OB says??
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 1:37 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• So why did you ask then?
    If you don't need to know / she'll tell you what you need to know, why question her??

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:01 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• You should talk to ur OB about that!
    ValMommy17

Answer by ValMommy17 at 1:05 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Trust isn't enough~

WE are responsible for ourselves. Our care providers are paid to offer Their Opinion, but it doesn't make it the *only* opinion (or the safest one).

Think about it: A good midwife would have informed you about the concerns with ultrasounds.

Whether you "need" a thousand ultrasounds or none at all, your midwife should have been explaining risks & benefits/pros & cons with interventions prior to doing them.
    This is called Informed Consent and is very important for your health & safety, you baby's, and your positive birth experience & outcome.

Good luck!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:56 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• i trust my midwife and i have had 3 ultra sounds my whole pregnancy
    mamawilbur

Comment by mamawilbur (original poster) at 1:49 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• i just started seeing her again and yes trust is enough thank you!
    mamawilbur

Comment by mamawilbur (original poster) at 1:58 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I never knew of risks associated with ultrasounds!! good to know.. now I am happy I only had 2 during my pregnancy :)
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 5:36 PM on Jun. 15, 2011