Im nervous bout buying a car

Not that I am not smart enough but that I wont have male that knows cars to go with me to look at a car (I belive some people like to take advantage of a female buyer) , I'm kinda in a rush to get a car, and last time I bought a car (from my mother) I spent so much money into it and it was a lemon (and she sold it after I spent $2grand into fixing it and didnt give me a dime).

I know things to ask a person about a cr but my fear is it will be a piece of shit and I wont have any extra cash to fix it. Basiclly I'm afraid if I take a big step with trying to advance myself (again) it will fail. Any advice?

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 1:20 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• I bought our last truck at the dealerships used lot, I test drove it,worked out the financing,callled hubby to bring our trade with title...make sure the vehicle is in good shape,low miles,check things like the alignment and the gadgets inside and always ask about a warranty is available...its not impossible to get a good deal and dont forget to get the carfax....dont be timid.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 2:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Take the car you like to a mechanic and have them check it out. Is it a dealership where you HAVE to pay the sticker price or can you negotiate? I would start by offering like $4,000 cheaper than the sticker price but it depends on the car. If it's a Honda and you negotiate that low, they will just laugh at you. Believe me! I've purchased a ton of cars! Go near the end of the day when the sales guys are freaking desperate to get just one more sale to make them look good. I had a sales guy cry because he needed to sell one more car that day to make it. It was funny! Good luck!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 1:33 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• u can also try getting a carfax report on it... something like that. not completely sure what it is called.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 3:56 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Thanks. Im thinking of getting a cheap used car for now. Im just a student and a lot requires me to have a job to be able to afford stuff. its crazy I have to rent a car firt, drop the kid at sitter, then drive to look at potential car..tons of work
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 2:58 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• yes, if possible, have a mechanic look at it. otherwise get a car that's known for its dependability. such as a Honda, or Toyota.

dmr73059

Answer by dmr73059 at 3:42 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I would take it to a mechanic and have them do a quick lookover. Sometimes they will charge like $35-50, other times they will do it for free (hoping for business in the future). Get a good referral from a friend for a mechanic and take it there before you buy.

Answer by missanc at 12:36 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I would purchase a warranty on a used car.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:29 PM on Jun. 15, 2011