Can I get diabetes even though there is no history of diabetes in my family?

kate320

Asked by kate320 at 1:38 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Health

• Yes, if you are like obese you can. Otherwise, it's hereditary. My coworker is skinny and healthy but everyone in her family has it and she has it too. But my boss, nobody in her family has it but she is quite large and she has it.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 1:39 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yes and contrary to what many believe you dont just have to be obese to get diabetes, many thin people who do not eat healthy and eat alot of high fat, sugar and carbs in their diet are also at a higher risk, but in saying that anyone can get diabetes.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:54 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yes. My friend's son has it and there is no family history. He isn't overweight and neither is anyone in their immediate family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yes.

There are 2 types of Diabetes.

Type 1 or Insulin dependent and occasionally still referred to as Juvenile Diabetes.

And Type 2 or non-insulin dependent

Type 1 generally is hereditary and comes about at a very young age, but there are more and more cases being diagnosed with no genetic link. Experts are thinking it is caused by an auto-immune reaction in your body. For example, my Husband got really really sick at age 22. 4 months later he was diagnosed with Diabetes. It was later decided it must be an autoimmunity complication from his previous illness because he has no diabetes in his family history and he was not a child. (obviously)

Type 2 is generally the one we like to think of as the "fat people" kind (no offense, I'm overweight too). Risk factors for this type include being over weight, eating unhealthy foods, leading a sedentary lifestyle, etc.

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:08 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• con't

There is also Gestational Diabetes and that is also not genetic.

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:10 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• 1 in 10 chances yep !!! if you don't eat healthy and too much stress.. you could have it yep .
    sometimes a shock can be a cause ..
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 2:46 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yep. A "family history" of any health issue always has to start somewhere in the family... guess this one's on you.
    AngelMama6203

Answer by AngelMama6203 at 3:00 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yes, anyone can get either type 1 or 2 without it being hereditary. I'm a type 2 diabetic and the only one in my family with it...other than an Uncle by marriage!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:29 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yes
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 10:12 AM on Jun. 15, 2011