Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps


Are there any military people out there that have spouses who suffer from PTSD/TBI? Do you have a support group near you or on your post? My hubby came home with both and he is getting treatment, but I can't go with him. I understand they need to feel safe and they don't want to burden us with there problems. But, where do we go to get our questions answered. We are the one who have to live with them and try and explain to others what is going on. I feel so very overwhelmed and alone. I know I am NOT the only one.

Also PTSD/TBI is not only for military. It can be caused by other traumatic events. If you are not military and you have or know some one who has it and you get help, please answer. Thanks


Asked by SweetPea726 at 1:58 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Health

Level 17 (4,366 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • Actually my husband has both PTSD and TBI. It is very hard to not get mad at certain things. I always try to just remember what they are going thru and remember that its not his fault he is like that. I am referring to the memory loss. Short term. this one thing gets pretty annoying. I will send you a message and you can add me and I will help as much as I can.

    Answer by Hapsand123 at 2:06 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • Hmmm, I guess I learned something new b/c I thought that all branches have ombudsman. Anyway, I think that the chaplain would be a good idea. Most of the ones that I have met have been very supportive. Do you have anyone around you that has been involved with the military for a long period of time? If so, maybe start asking them questions. They may be able to give you some info. Have you asked this question in any of the military groups? There may be someone in one of those that's gone through this and can help you. It sounds to me like you are doing what you can for him and you sound like a good wife. Just keep being as supportive as you can, I guess.

    Answer by kasey22 at 2:25 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • I don't know anyone personally that has it, but if you have questions, maybe try contacting your ombudsman and see if she can point you in the right direction. Or, schedule an appointment with your PCM, and see if they could help get in touch with a therapist. I hope that your DH gets better and that you get the support that you need.

    Answer by kasey22 at 2:02 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • We don't have ombudsman's in the Army. My FRG leader, well she is worthless, sad to say. I see my PCM on Friday and will ask. I was also thinking of going to the Chaplains on post also. I just want to be a better wife and help mate for him. And thank you for the support. I think he is making great progress. So, there is hope.

    Comment by SweetPea726 (original poster) at 2:07 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • Hapsand123, the memory loss is horrible. I made a place where my purse, the keys and the shoes go. So, he is getting retrained to put his stuff there. It helps me with the kids also. We have a 9 year old son who loves to play and scare his daddy, because that is what they did before he left. Now he has to reprogram his head to play with our son. He is doing great, but we all have good days and bad days. regardless of issues, right?

    Comment by SweetPea726 (original poster) at 2:10 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am trying to be a good wife, but it'shard sometimes. I have a friend who has it, but she is a spouse and we kinda get shuffled under the rug sometimes. I will talk to my PCM on Friday and the Chaplain on Sunday. I appreciate your ideas and support.

    Comment by SweetPea726 (original poster) at 2:29 AM on Jun. 15, 2011