How Do I get my son to sleep in his crib?

Please no bashing!! I screwed up by sleeping with my son.. Hes 10 months now.. He used to sleep in his bassinet and then his crib but I am BF and it was just so much easier to sleep with him in the bed.. My husband has been arguing with me about sleeping with him now.. So before I get a divorce.. lol I need to start putting him in his crib.. So last nite I tryed he slepted in his crib for 2 hrs but kepted waking up.. I nursed and tryed to put him back in but he just cryed the whole time.. What should I do????

airmom04

Asked by airmom04 at 9:53 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This sounds really mean, but I would just let him cry unless he really is hungry then of course feed him. Thats what I did with my boy and he cried for three nights straight but then got used to his new routine. He is 7 now and is normal so I don't think I screwed him up..LOL!
    Anonymous

• I know that I should let him cry.. But it just breaks my heart.. I have this stupid sayin' that my baby is not allowed to cry.. We been thru alot.. and I never want him to be sad.. Also how can I stop him from nursing in the middle of the nite??
    airmom04

Answer by airmom04 at 10:05 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• wait 20 minutes to see if he'll sooth himself to sleep. if not, go in there, lay him back down, give him a kiss, and say it's time for bed. if still crying after 15-20 minutes, go in there, give kiss, lay down, dont' say anything, just leave the room. after another 15-20 minutes if still crying, do the same as last. do this, unless of course you feel he's still hungry. (pump and put in a bottle so he gets used to soothing himself to sleep without having to have mommy for support) by now you know his cries, so you'll know if it's a hungry cry or a i don't wanna be in here cry. (cont)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:05 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I did the same thing as you. My daughter is 6 months now. From the time she was born till 5 months she would sleep in her bassinet. As it got cold, (and I'm single so noone to bother with a baby in the bed), I brought her into my bed so we could stay warmer together. Now if I try to lay her in her bed she will wake up in a couple hours and scream until I pick her up. I am in the same boat as you and I hope you get more answers.
    Anonymous

• for waking up at night: What i did was when my son woke up, i would let him cry for 20 minutes, and if he wasn't asleep by then, i would give him a bottle. i say to put the bm in the bottle, that way he gets used to falling asleep on his own, and doesn't need mommy to fall asleep. do this for a while. after a while, he'll start to sooth himself to sleep either by or before the 20 minutes. pretty soon after that, he wont' even wake up at night. if he doesn't go to sleep after you've given him the bottle (which in my experience having him feed himself the bottle and you leave the room helps out alot for him to fall asleep on his own) do same as my last reply. with this method, my son has been sleeping through the night since 7 months. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• have him a cd player with some music on repeat, a small night light, a stuffed animal. we put cole down in his bed when he is still awake, but tired, lay him down, give him the paci, cover him up and walk away. when he started to cry, i waited 1 min, went back in and put the paci back in, and covered him, then left. DONT SAY ANYTHING/ NO EYE CONTACT. next time he crys, wait 2 mins, repeat. your baby is older, you might can wait 4-5 mins the 1st time, then lengthen each time he cries. if he starts to get hysterical, of course go in. the main thing, NO TALKING/ NO EYE CONTACT/ NO GETTING HIM OUT OF BED. if you get him out of bed, he will learn if he complains enuff you will get him. so no getting him out, PERIOD!
    MONHOLLENMOM

Answer by MONHOLLENMOM at 10:12 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I have a 4 month old and he sleeps in his chair next to our bed because of acid reflex. I know he will have a hard time moving to the crib too. He is always used to sitting up and sleeping. I have been told to not let a baby younger than 6 months cry for very long at all, and for over 6 months old only let them cry for 15 min. then go in.
    DJMsmom

Answer by DJMsmom at 10:17 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Put him next to your bed at least.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 10:20 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I had a friend tell me her doctor at a parenting class told her a that to get your child to stop nursing at night just cut out how much time you nurse and slowly get down to nothing. I just let my daughter cry and rubbed her back. It was hard but shes sleeping through the night in her own bed.
    Brandy85412

Answer by Brandy85412 at 10:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Don't put your baby to bed with a bottle of milk like a pp suggested, it can damage their teeth. I would try giving a sippy of water though. When I went through that with my oldest he was waking up out of thirst, not hunger. He learned to find his cup, get a drink and go back to sleep. There is also a CIO alternatives group on here that you might look into (www.cafemom.com/group/50130).
    In the mean time, make sure he naps in his crib and put him in it after he falls back asleep at night.
    I totally respect your decision to not CIO though. Good Luck!
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 11:13 PM on Dec. 11, 2008