Two Wolves.

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. "A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy.

"It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego."
He continued, "The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."
_____________________________

Thoughts?

I like this story, it encourages the individual to take responsibility for their feelings instead of blaming a devil, or any other supernatural hierarchy.

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 3:20 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's a very nice story. Oh and I've never blamed the devil for anything I've done I am responsible for my actions.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:45 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I've heard the story. It's has a great moral.
    I've never blamed Satan for the bad things I do.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:03 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• it encourages the individual to take responsibility for their feelings instead of blaming a devil, or any other supernatural hierarchy.--

i like it..but then i believe i have a choice to be good or bad. volition. free will. the whole shebang.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:26 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• i like it.
    dmr73059

Answer by dmr73059 at 3:45 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I have always loved that story and tend to reflect on it when I'm struggling with choices or emotions.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 3:45 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Well, yes, I think this is a very good way to put it. I think everyone has good and evil in themselves and they have to choose which path to follow. But that other side will flare once and awhile, lol, no matter who you are ;) I do believe in God and the Devil, but I guess I feel like they are more hands off, so to speak, haha, I think we make decisions for ourselves.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 3:46 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I like it too and believe it encourages the same. I REALLY, TRULY, HONESTLY hope that my baby has the pleasure of experiencing every single one of those (the evil and the good) first hand. I know that is the only possible way he will ever experience the joy (the number 1 emotion in the good list) of providing all the "good" ones to other beings he comes into contact with during his life!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 3:51 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• and I of course hope he appreciates all of them too, just as I have!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 3:53 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I like the story. I don't believe there is a "devil"

nichamli

Answer by nichamli at 7:37 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I've heard this before, and I love it. Though I'm a Christian who doesn't believe in "the devil". ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:52 AM on Jun. 15, 2011