Is it wrong to feed a 4 m/o baby cereal?

Ok, I just had my fourth baby 4 months ago. My children are spaced apart and the "rules" on what to do and not to do have changed. I started feeding the other children cereal around 3 or 4 months depending on their development. I think my baby is ready to eat, my dh and sister think that I should wait just because the dr thinks I should. Does anybody else think that it is wrong to wait?

mama04inID

Asked by mama04inID at 5:10 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well you can start solids between 4~6 mnths. So if you think she's ready than try it. All babies are different. I started my youngest at around 4~5 mnths because formula just wasn't.doing it for him anymore. Do whatever you think is best for your baby
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 5:36 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Whats your reason for wanting to start solids? At this point its really not necessary IMO. You can if you want to though. I had my DD 9 yrs ago so I feel ya on the "rules have changed".
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:24 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I'd get the doctors approval before starting any solid foods. The doctor might see something you're not even aware of, and can tell you if it's appropriate to start or wait. Granted this is not your first rodeo with a kid, I still am a stickler and have to insist that waiting for the pedi's okay is probably the best route.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 5:57 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• The baby cerials we buy here state on the box '4month onwards', so we starterd our baby on some baby foods from 4 months. It keeps changing, when I was born my Mom started me on some solids at 3 months, don't see why they keep changing it!
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 6:11 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Just need to add, my DS still has formula, just a few spoons full of food after his milk.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 6:13 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• they seem to wait longer now to feed cereal. I did it when my oldest was about 3-4 months old. sometimes formula just isn't enough.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:43 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I say do what you are comfortable with. The rules had changed when my 3rd child was born and I still started cereal at 3 1/2 months with her. It hasn't hurt her to do that and she is 9 years old now. I sometimes think they are just guessing when it comes to some things. So while I know a lot of new moms that waited I decided not to. Once we start cereal she slept better and was less cranky, so if you think the baby is ready then try it.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:47 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I started both mine earlier than that because formula alone wasn't cutting it for either of them. Yes, the rules change, daily it seems ... my siblings and I were started on cereal at 3 weeks - doctor's orders - my mom just ran across the note from doctor in one of our baby books - and we've always been the healthiest of children and adults.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Google "infant open gut." You'll find an explanation of why the recommendations changed.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:47 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• 4 years ago my daughters doctor told me at 3 and half months I could start feeding her cereal because she was never satisfied with just formula and she was eating 6 oz every 2 hours. So we started feeding her cereal. I say its totally up to you. You are the mom and you know your child best. If there is a reason that you want to start cereal then you should but if its just because its what you know and what you did in the past then its really still up to you.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 15, 2011