Is it true a cat can kill a baby on accident

baby_GERARD_mom

Asked by baby_GERARD_mom at 6:27 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• i hv heard some stories about !!! but not so sure !! just we hv to be carful cause they'r animals and not humanbeen loll
    once i heard the cut slept on a bb face so bb couldnt breath and died !!! i was shocked ....
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 6:38 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• they say a cat can lay on the baby's face so to be careful about that.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:38 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• i heard loads of story eg cats lie of baby faces as they smell of milk
    yet of all my years of working with cat !!! i have yet to meet one person that even know someone its happened to so i have to say its not ture. i mean i meet meany mum who had baby and cats niver one of them says there cats every hurt there baby . ok i meet a few mum of toddler who cats have scrached tehre toddler but the mum do say it was teh toddler fault lol
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 6:49 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Anything is possible, but this is so remote it's not something I'd worry about.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:41 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• It's unlikely. I've never heard anyone actually say they knew someone. The cat may scratch the baby if the baby hurts or scares it but for the most part they realize it's a child. Just because they're not human doesn't mean they're not smart or caring. Just don't put your baby on the floor next to the cat and leave the room. They may attempt to "care" for it by keeping it warm beside it and accidentally get fur on them. For scratching you can GENTLY pull on its ears and tail and put your hand in its mouth. Punish for scratches and bites and reward for being good. Cats also dislike citrus and menthol so you might clean baby's doorway with these scents.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 7:51 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I have three cats and just keep them out of the baby's room. They were fascinated with the crib at first, and I kept catching them trying to snooze in it (before baby was born) so we just kept the door closed and they got the idea. Now that son is 1 they are intimidated by him enough to leave him alone, so they stay away on their own. One of our cats actually adored him when he was first born and kept trying to "wash" him and sleep with him, until he started tail pulling.
    Oh, and MOST cats might not like menthol. but one of ours is a nutcase and loves to lick it and make herself sick. She ate half a tube of icyhot one time and the vet had to pump her. That was fun....
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 9:03 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• This is one of those things that old ladies are really fond of sprouting off to pregnant ladies, but none of them have ever actually heard of it happening. I suppose anything is possible, but I really don't think it is likely. We have 3 cats and a small child, and we never had an issue.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 11:34 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My cat must be weird, because he loves grapefruit. If I cut one in half and leave the other on the counter, I have to watch it because he'll jump up there and start licking it. I don't know if it's the juice or what! My other cat doesn't like it, though.
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 5:21 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My cats didn't want anything to do with the baby to get close enough to sit on it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• This is possible, but highly unlikely because most cats will not get around an infant
    Wanabmommy

Answer by Wanabmommy at 12:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2011