My son wants to get his lip pierced

I know tis up to me because a parent has to be there but i am not sure i like the idea. I am trying to talk him into doing the eyebrow instead. He is almost 17 but this is something i need to think about and talk over with Dad. Just curious what your opinions is.

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 7:00 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I'd present all the reasons I think it is a bad idea, and then let him know that he should give it another year to think about it. Then he can do it on his own when he's of age.
    My son wants a tattoo and he's only 16 (17 in August), and lots of the kids his age are getting them now. It seems to be the "in" thing for the boys these days, especially those that wrestle where we live, they all have their last names tattoo'd across their shoulder blades. I've said no multiple times, because I do think its best he waits and gives it some time. I told him when he's 18 he can do what he wants, but I just can't approve of it right now for fear he'll regret it later.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I would just say no to the lip piercing because of the potential for tooth damage. If he really wants it that much, he can wait a year.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:32 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I would not allow it in my house. Piercings do not always close up, and if he gets a job (which at 17 my kids will have) where he has to work with the public they may not allow it.

Answer by missanc at 9:11 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My Mother had a rule, get anything you like pierced as it can easily heal and close up, but no tattoo's. When I turned 18 I went and got a tattoo, and I really regret it now! :( Mothers always know best :(
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 7:06 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Does he have a job? Many places will not hire someone with piercings, and he will always have the scar when this phase is over! Honeslty I vote more for a tattoo where you can only see it with a shirt off or something.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:11 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I AGREE I THINK PIERCE ON IS BETTER THAN THE TATTOO,,LET HIM DO IT SIS,,,HE WILL ONLY DO IT ANYWAY WHEN HE TURNS 18!!!!
    muda1954

Answer by muda1954 at 5:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• good rule there! I guess my biggest issue is that i know that it can be damanging to your teeth and he has perfect teeth and a beautiful smile and my teeth got really bad because of my pregnancies and last yr i had to have them all pulled and get dentures and i think i am too young for that so i am a bit of a freak about it i think. lol
    jenn4443

Comment by jenn4443 (original poster) at 7:11 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Both lip and eyebrow are safe so long as you go to a quality piercer. Is he responsible enough to clean it himself? Eyebrows are generally more painful and they also carry risk. However the risks are low with a good piercer. Do your research and ask around. You can even stop people in the street and ask about their piercings- most would love to tell you about it or make recommendations.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 7:44 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• if i do let him do it i will take him to this tattoo and piercing place we have in town and all i have heard is great things about that place. I told him it will cost him $40 but that is the only place i will let him go if i agree to this.
    jenn4443

Comment by jenn4443 (original poster) at 7:59 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Honestly, I'd have him wait until he doesn't need you to sign for it and can pay for it on his own. Then he can pierce anything he wants.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:32 AM on Jun. 15, 2011