Just want to say this...

I see this pretty much everyday on here... atleast one or two people talking about how spanking a child will make them a violent monster when they grow up...

Now I am not saying this couldnt happen, but obviously spanking alone, would not cause that kind of damage to a child.... abuse maybe, but not just a spanking...

I would also like to point out that I and most people I know were spanked growing up, none of us are violent people, none of us grew up resenting our parents, in fact we are all pretty close to our parents... and are respectful successful adults...

AND the few people that I know who had the parents who just talked it out, well they are the ones who are all messed up, they are the ones who feel entitled, who get in trouble, and have problems...

Now, I am not someone who will go around stating this ( until right now ) ... because i let people parent how they want to parent... but next time you try to say something about how parents who spank only raise monsters, well your definatly wrong, and until your children are grown into respectful, caring, nice human beings, I don't want to hear about how you think we should all raise our kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• SWasson, she had a point and you overthrough it and overanalyzed it! I mean her point is YOU all calim spanking is equal to bad parenting, but the fact is statistically, both are equal! Get off your high horses, spanking is legal, in ALL states if done right, and it is an age old way to correct behavior! This world today is sad! If I could live in the 1960's or earlier I would be happier... b/c I refuse to fall into "perfect parenting fads"
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:43 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• So you're claiming that spanking =good parenting? It seems you're claiming that not spanking CAUSES problem adults. The truth is probably closer to "if you're not at the extremes in your parenting style, it will have little effect on the adults your children grow up to be."
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:48 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I don't spank my kids never really have unless a swat here and there but i am not against it either. I was spanked and i am not a monster.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 7:44 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• There is a difference between spanking and beating.

With that said...Every technique does not work on every child. There are some children that you really could beat and that would not affect them, but put them in a corner and they would straighten right up. Taking the time to find what works, being hands on everyday and loving your child is what raises a good kid. We are all bound to have rough days filled with tears and tantrums...no bodies perfect, if we were we wouldn't need a site like this :-)
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 9:41 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• No i am saying no one knows what kind of parenting works unless your children are grown and they turned out well ( then you must of done something right) ....

I said the thing about how the people who wasnt spanked turned out, just to show that there are kids who wasnt spanked who turned out worse than the ones who were ( which the way some people talk about spanking , you would think that could never happen)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:51 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I spank once in awhile. Rarely now, my son has learned how to act for the most part. But I have to agree that I think it is the extremes at both ends. I agree with you, I know a lot of kids who were spanked and are great people and I know a lot of people who weren't spanked that are great people! And the opposite, I know some extremely mean people who were spanked and extremely mean people who weren't. It is just like anything else, it is good in moderation, lol.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:04 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• i dont think spank kids will damage there personality in future we were all spanked loll and we'r gd ppl ... (im talking about my familly) and it dsn't mean that i'll spank my child ...so here is a gd exemple ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• What about a taser?
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 8:30 AM on Jun. 15, 2011