How do you do that?

I see girls all the time that have a perfect hair cut like they went to a big shot NY salon and spent tons of money. I can never get my hair looking the way I need it to, well want it to. How in the world can I get mine to look like that? Do you take a picture in and say make me look like this? Do they get treatments on their hair? Do you have to know salon talk? I want to be able to walk into a salon and walk out with amazing looking hair, damnit! Fill me in!!!!!

Naplesmommy03

Asked by Naplesmommy03 at 7:47 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I found it just took time. I found a stylist I love, I got a basic haircut the first time. My focus was first on getting my hair healthy so she gave me some tips and told me to come back in three months. I never listen to this but it is a very important tip. I went back she refreashed my hair and since then I have gotten styling tips and a different cut. But I will tell you I took the time to research like previous post said.
    sweetpea_mama

Answer by sweetpea_mama at 9:45 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• my stylist shows me (bragging again sorry guys) and tell me how to get my hair to look the same as cutie as he did the first time. He also says it takes PRACTICE and getting your hair to get used to going that way :)
    djavongirl

Answer by djavongirl at 11:00 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• many factors: good haircutting skills, good communication skills from both the cutter AND YOU, realistic expectations on YOUR part, good instruction on care/styling/use of tools by the stylist and good listening BY YOU to their instructions.
    too many clients are afraid of upsetting the cutter/stylist with questions or saying they don't like where the appointment is going/not liking what they are seeing, etc.
    also, you can't expect to get a fabulous cut/style from a walk-in experience. you must do your research by asking those you see with great haircuts who they go to, how do they style it, what is involved, etc.
    the salon, no matter the location or reputation, is not responsible for what you get from behind-the-chair. the stylist is..so don't just 'go to X Salon'..go to the stylist!
    one last thing: even high-dollar stylists can give crap cuts, as well as a low-dollar stylist can give an excellent cut. research!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:32 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I know there are certain things my hair just will not do. It's flatter than a flapjack. When I see a stylist, I tell them flat out what tools and products I am willing to use. That way, when they do my hair it's cut such that I can recreate it at home. I've found that that helps them as much as anything in helping me choose a cut that's flattering and do-able.
    swizzleday

Answer by swizzleday at 11:20 AM on Jun. 15, 2011