Would this annoy you too ?

i am annoyed but not surprised because i know my sister in law well , however I thought what she did was pretty mean !

When we found out she was having a little girl, my mom and I bought tons and tons of clothes... in fact , aside from a couple outfits, we supplied most of my neices clothes...

I then found out I was pregnant again and 2 days before she was born I found out I was due with a girl as well... so one day when i was at their house and helping clean up I said to make sure she puts back all the clothes for me when *neice* grows out of them... I also remember a few other convos in those following weeks of asking her if she wants me to take over a bag or box for her to put the stuff in ( I didnt want her just throwing them in her wet basement like she does everything else) ... she always said yes, and of course I was expecting these clothes...

So now you can understand why i am upset when she gave them all away...

GRR.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Relationships

• I agree that it is annoying, but you gave those clothes as a gift and you really dont have a right to expect them back. The right thing for her to do is to give them back, but she isn't obligated to do so.
    AngelicaDem

Answer by AngelicaDem at 8:41 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• That is just how some people are. Hopefully she gave them to someone that was truly in need of them. I know it is frustrating.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 8:42 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• maybe she promissed somebody else before you ask !!!
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 8:46 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I did have a right to expect them back because she told me I could have them back more than once....

She also gave my basket away that I gave her to put them in...

she gave them to a friend who put them in a yard sale.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:47 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• This is just how she is... her and my brother lived with my parents for a short while.... she left a magazine in the bathroom, my mom later picked it up and was looking at it in the living room and accidently tore the cover... ( mind you it was also several months old ) ...

She DEMANDED my mom pay for it ( a whole $6 ) and wouldnt let it go... forgetting the fact she was living and eating there for free !
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:48 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yeah, it makes sense why you are frustrated. She said she would give them to you then gave them away, but I wouldn't dwell on it.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:49 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I have found that quite a few people are thoughtless and rude. You really just have to let it go and think twice about doing for them in the future.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 8:50 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• if she offered the clothes back then did something else with them - some annoyance yes
    but if you asked her for gifts back - tasteless and no right to be annoyed

i had my childs grandmother on her fathers side, give my child things, then months or year later ask for them back
    i told her that those things were long gone, i never said i will save for her to give to another person, she assumed? how she assumed i have no idea. i told her that i bring all the kids things that they outgrow to a resale shop to buy them things that are their size and age at the time. i also said that in the futire when giving gifts, please tell me right away and mark the item as i can not be expected to remember all childrens items, who gave them to them and who wants their gifts back - she stopped this rude practice
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:53 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Since she told you that she would give them to your little one I would be upset, and I would learn my lesson. Next time, she would be clothing her own child.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:57 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• honestly, I think it's rude you expected them back because you found out you were pregnant because you gave them as a gift. Gifts mean no give backs.... (kid term) - if she promised unprovoked then I would be upset but you may have put her in an odd predicament -- I mean really, bringing boxes back over so she didn't mishandle the clothing.. would make me feel awful, like oh okay so really she bought these for herself and I get to "borrow" them...
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 9:21 AM on Jun. 15, 2011